Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "check engin" light came on.I'm 200 km from the nearest MB service station so I baught a MB 100 MEMO SCANNER (made by uiftech)on eBay.But the scanner shows "ERR" and cannot read the code.On the socket flap underneath the stearing it says OBD.But I want to be shure to order the correct scanner cau's there are a few around.Do I need a OBD 2 SCANNER or what brand will work on my car?My 2003 C230 KOMPRESSOR COUPE have the 1.8 l aluminam block enjin.146000 km on the clock.:crybaby2:

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,128 Posts
Check alpha-bid.com
Get a scanner with canbus like this one.
more info obd2

OR get the Carsoft interface is you prefer to use the computer.
more info obd2

But you'll need a serial port or a PCMCIA adapter card.
It's a pain to get it working.

I have both, scanner lives in the glove box, and the Carsoft stay at home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS

:thumbsup:
This is the one I baught that read ERR.
MB100
So does it mean the car has CAN-BUS protocol and not OBD 2 ?Could it be a faulty MB100 scanner and OBD 2 protocol ?:confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
They are two different things.

OBDII (On Board Disgnostics) is a kind of standard interface required by the U.S. government since 1996. I think the basic idea was that any mechanic could read codes with aftermarket scanners, and you would not have to go to the dealer.

CAN (Controller Area Network) is an internal bus system the car itself uses. This carries a LOT more information than the OBDII, sometimes much more detailed for diagnosis (so the dealer still has an advantage over the local shop for complicated problems).

True example:
Local mechanic: code indicates evaporative emissions fault
MB dealer: you have a purge valve leak.

As for ERR, I had a BMW unit like that. Turned out it had an incompatibility with my exact year and engine (yes, I believed the guy on the phone, I don't think he was making it up). It could clear codes but not read them.

For your case, ask their tech support &/or return it before the eBay claim window passes. If they say it reads OBDII and they said for MB and for 2005, it's just defective perhaps. Although the website is South African, the text reads like Chinglish, I wonder how well engineered that unit really is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I baught this scanner to read my engin error code.AND ITS NOT READING THE CODE!!
Mercedes Benz C/CLK/CL Class Code Reader Scanner OBD2: eBay Motors (item 310259462844 end time Nov-06-10 21:14:25 PDT)
Hi,Thanks for clearing things up with my scanner issue.
Where do I locate the OBD sticker under the hood?Can't find it so far!What's EOBD?

Hi.I hope you will understand my explenation of the OBD CONNECTOR IN MY CAR and which are populated.Look at this diagram in this link ; OBD 2 AUTO CODE READER SCAN TOOL SCANNER OBDII II E - eBay (item 200513450889 end time Nov-26-10 13:58:53 PST)

MY CONNECTOR ARE POPULATED IN NUMBERS 1,3,4,5,7,8 ; 9,11,12,15,16
2003 MERCEDES-BENZ C230 KOMPRESSOR (1.8 l)COUPE, right hand drive.I'm in SOUTH AFRICA.
I'm thinking this one ??????????
OBD 2 AUTO CODE READER SCAN TOOL SCANNER OBDII II E : eBay Motors (item 200513450889 end time Nov-26-10 13:58:53 PST)

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport
100 Posts
I got one from wal-mart and it work outstanding on my 06' C230 sport cost $80.00

Equus 3100 Innova CanOBD2 Diagnostic Tool

• For any 1996 & newer car, light truck or SUV
• Foreign & domestic cars
• Quick State Emissions readiness

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I guess the issue is you are trying to go with some cheap shit.
Buy the right tool. The end.
MB uses a protocol called KW2000 or something like that.
OBDII is a standard not a protocol.
Most of the cheap readers don't support our protocol or CANBUS.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Raskite, as you may have read, EOBD is a Euro version of OBD.

Which makes me wonder, is your car Euro-spec? I would think so, because it is right-hand-drive so probably the same as Britain. Therefore I'd guess it is probably EOBD not OBD.

With that in mind, maybe you need a scan tool from Britain or Germany. The eBay seller you link has a lot of satisfied customers, but maybe that U.S. tool just isn't compatible with your car???

BY THE WAY, be sure the tool says it will reset the check engine light. Most should, but it doesn't hurt to check. They will NOT all necessarily scan and reset air bag codes, service indicators, etc, so check that as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all.Maybe I'v missed the most important factor in my problem.My GF drove the car well into the yellow reserve fuel light before the check enjin light came on. So now after consulting the manual I saw the following info.I must fill the tank to top and restart the car 4 times before I drive from the filling station.According to the manual this "can" reset the check engin yellow light.I'll try this tomorrow.Hope it works and if not at least I can use the fuel...:p

·
Registered
61 Posts
... restart the car 4 times...
That MAY mean true restarts, i.e. the car goes to sleep in between. Supposedly this should be like a minute, but on numerous occasions Mercedes guys I know admitted that vehicle behavior is still a little different if it sits for an hour.

I don't think you should get CHECK ENGINE from running low on fuel, but it can definitely come on for evaporative emissions (like leaving the gas cap open). So if she ran it SO low it was really on fumes, no gas in the tank, then maybe that triggered the light.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hmmmm....never seen that, and been on Zero miles left many times,
coasted into a gas station even.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok,still same old bloody light on!I'm not shure how long I have to wait between the 4 restarts?1 min , 1 hour ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2002 MB C240,
45 Posts
OBD2 INNOVA 3130

I am looking to get this scanner (ebay: $140, Autohaus: $180). Does anyone else have it and what do you think of it? Does it read Transmission codes?
Or do you recommend something else? Thnx.

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor
25 Posts
I use the Garmin Ecoroute HD as a scanner. It allows you to read the codes, and the first time I updated my GPS that connects to it, it downloaded the Mercedes code data base so I dont have to search to see what the codes mean. It also allows me to display 5 guages, like airflow, temperatures and more. My favorite item to display is my Kompressor pressure.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38354

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CHEAP SCANNERS ON EBAY ARE CHEAP CAU'S THEY DON'T WORK

Scanned my car at a MB service centre.In short, the exhaust sensor picked up dirt cau's the fueltank were driven near empty.What a relief!!!!!!!:bowdown:
If you'r in the USA than the big branded carparts stores will probably have a scanner and scan your car for free.If you want a scanner, the expensive ones will probably work.Make shure the seller offer a refund if it don't.Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts