Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 c280 4 matic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 C280 4 matic. CEL came on but scanner does not detect any codes. I tried my scanner, one at Autozone and one at Advance Auto and none detected any codes. I located the fuse for the Data Link circuit and the fuse was OK. According to another site, the fuse location is #62 located in the fuse box in the engine bay on the driver's side up against the firewall under a couple black plastic covers. Is there another fuse or something else I am missing to solve this problem. Thanks for looking into this. David P.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It could be a non standard code that a generic OBD2 reader does not detect or report. I have a scanner that can connect in vehicle specific mode. It's a launch CRP123. It can connect in manufacturer specific mode to check engine, abs and transmission systems. It can report all of the Mercedes specific codes.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
If the MIL is illuminated, there should be one or more stored or active codes that any generic OBDII scanner can read. This is a requirement of the OBDII system mandated by law. If no codes can be read, then something is wrong either with the scanner or the car. When you connect a scanner, it should give some sort of feedback that it has established communications with the car. If not, there is a problem with the port on the car.

·
Registered
2006 c280 4 matic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an INNOVA 3130 scanner and that did not read any codes; it works because I used it on my Ford Escape the same day and it lights up as soon as it is plugged in and the key is turned; I do know how to work scanners. This did not happen when I tried them on the MB. I'm not sure what brand scanners they had at Autozone or Advance Auto. I'm gathering that some generic scanners do or do not work on certain Mercedes models; I'm hearing both opinions. So I just ordered the icarsoft i980 scanner and will see what happens when I get it. It appears to be a consensus and according to their website, that it does work on the W203. The indie MB shops here want $150 to diagnose.. I just paid $98 for the i980. Funny thing; the CEL was lit for approx 2-3 days, went out for 1 day and then came back on...car runs just fine but obviously it needs to be addressed. Thanks for all the responses. I certainly appreciate it fellas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So when you connect the scanner it turns on and is connected. When you scan for codes does it say no codes found? Did you check the freeze frame data, is there any stored history data. Can you read live data or the mode 6 data?

·
Registered
2006 c280 4 matic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The scanner lights up when connected and the key is turned on and says "no stored history" and also says "connect to OBD port and turn key on" and that's it. But it is already connected to port and the key is turned on! When I press any other button on the scanner it says something like "scanner is shutting down/turning off" then goes blank. So NO, cannot read live data either. I've tried it over and over, checked connections, checked data link fuse, replaced batteries on scanner. I'm getting these messages but just can't detect the code and CEL stays on. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you try it with the engine running? What's your battery voltage? I just had a weird issue with my car. While trouble shooting my camshaft solinoids I tried to start the car and it would not start. Due to coronavirus the car has been sitting for two weeks unused. Before I started it I connected my scanner and it worked as it always does. I wanted to.monitor the camshaft positions as it warmed up. When I tried to start it it would not start. I tried to start it a bunch of times but it just cranked. The battery seemed low so I charged it up. After it started up I lost communication with the ECU and could not read anything. I tried a few times with the car running and could not get a response from the ECU. I could could communicate with the SRS, transmission and the BCM. When I read the BCM it said communication errors. I shut the car off and restarted it. After that last time I was able to read the ECU. You may need to get a scanner that can read the BCM and see what's up.with it.

·
Registered
2006 c280 4 matic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny stuff with these Mercedes.... lol... I did order a icarsoft i980 scanner but it doesn't get here until the 24th of this month... we will see... thanks for the info... information is power!!

·
Registered
2006 c280 4 matic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dang... I can be dumb at times... the fuse was blown... very slightly... I had to put on 2 pairs of glasses to see the tiny crack... so my innova 3130 scanner detected 2 codes..PO 2273 and PO158. Does anyone have any information on these other the descriptions on the book?? I want to thank you all for your input and I'm sorry for being so dumb.... sometimes!!!!

·
Registered
2006 c280 4 matic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man... I sure can be dumb sometimes... turns out the fuse was blown... very small crack in fuse... I missed it entirely when I first checked it... I needed 2 pairs of glasses to see it... so my innova 3130 scanner showed P2273 and P0158... related to 02sensor... did not need the icarsoft i980 scanner so I am returning it... I want to thank you guys for responding to my post and putting up with my ignorance...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts