Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my check engine light came on last night. Car seems to run fine. I did run it very close to empty fuel-wise so I'm guessing maybe that's why the light came on.

Anyway, I went to Autozone to see if they could read the code for me with their scanner. I located the OBD connector on the engine firewall and it was round. The scanner at autozone
has a rectangular connector, sot the guy said he couldn't help me.

I thought OBDII was standard on all vehicles starting in 1996. Is there another location on the car to hook up the OBDII? Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Hi, my check engine light came on last night. Car seems to run fine. I did run it very close to empty fuel-wise so I'm guessing maybe that's why the light came on.

Anyway, I went to Autozone to see if they could read the code for me with their scanner. I located the OBD connector on the engine firewall and it was round. The scanner at autozone

I thought OBDII was standard on all vehicles starting in 1996. Is there another location on the car to hook up the OBDII? Thanks, Eric
Your not in a bad situation, the OBDII port is inside the car. But first a OBDII computer is not going to clear the code. OBDII scanners can only read the code, you must hae a Mercedes scanner to clear codes/re-adapt/run tests.

Under the steering wheel there is a panel, that panel has to be removed for you to get to the OBDII port. <-And there is a precedure for that.

It would be best if you called around a few shop's. Here is what you ask them.

Can you scan a Mercedes 38 pin diagnostic port?

And can I get a printout?

If not your stuck trying to ONLY retrieve the codes, by using the OBDII port.

Using it is almost a complete waste of your time. Just a heads up.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts

If you have a generic Scanner for OBD II it should erase the codes, I have one that will read them then ask you if you want to erase them, buy pressing a button, it will erase them. You also dont have to remove the lower knee panel, there should be a plastic door that lifts up so you can plug the scanner in to read the codes..there is also a port under the hood that does have a 38 pin connector, I personally never have used it.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
MM, Are you sure about that? By law in the U.S. the OBDII port as to be readily accessible without tools. It's normally just a small cover over the port. I've deleted many a code with an OBDII reader, OBDII codes that is.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Are you sure about that? By law in the U.S. the OBDII port as to be readily accessible without tools. It's normally just a small cover over the port. I've deleted many a code with an OBDII reader, OBDII codes that is.
The port in the car is easy to plug in, you dont have to remove the lower panel...is that your question?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Are you sure about that? By law in the U.S. the OBDII port as to be readily accessible without tools. It's normally just a small cover over the port. I've deleted many a code with an OBDII reader, OBDII codes that is.
Some of the older cars where still using old stock lower dash panels. Some, not all.

By him saying, he could not find it, I assumed he had the panel you have to remove.

I mis-spoke. However if there is no door, you will have to take the panel off.

These are general pictures of the area it is in, and the port.

Hope it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts