Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes E220 CDI Bluetech (W212) 2014
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Can anyone tell me if my E240 W210 1998 V6 Mercedes Classic is OBD II compliant and what toolS can be recommended to read out fault codes. Both USB compliant programs as well as scanners.
Thanks appreciate any help.
E240Black:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
What market...

was the vehicle produced for? Your profile does not list your location.

The E240 was not imported into the U.S.; if it had been, the vehicle would have the OBD-II system included. The European OBD protocol was not established until 2000-2001, I believe.

You will have the diagnostic connector in the engine compartment, but the interface is to the proprietary Mercedes diagnostic or the "Star" system.

JR

·
Registered
W210 2001 E200k
46 Posts
hi guys,
bringing back an old thread.

I have a Australian w210, 2001 e200k, and was wanting to know what diagnostic tool to get, i got a cheapie OBD reader off ebay and it does not work:

Mercedes Benz S & E Class Code Reader Scanner OBD2/EOBD - eBay (item 270705331317 end time Mar-14-11 00:52:01 PDT)

The reason I got that one is because I did not know which protocol my car used as it has both 38pin under the bonnet and 16pin OBD under the steering wheel.

Has anyone had any experience with Australian cars? i'm completely lost now, would the U600 or the eu702 work? They are all off ebay as no local shop sells these things.

thanks in advance guys!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Be patient as there are several members around who live down under. I can't remember any of the nicks for the W210 owners but they do belong and contribute. Amazon.com has been mentioned several times as a good source and the brand Actron has been well recommended.

Cheers mate and welcome to the forum!

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I stand corrected, but I don't think the Eruo version of the OBD II system was implemented untill Mod Y 2000. That said, the car can still be diagnosed with what I understand to be loads of European diagnostic tools besides the MB Star.

I would spend some time asking some workshops what diagnostic tool they use on MB's

·
Registered
W210 2001 E200k
46 Posts
Mine is an Australian delivered 2001, is that Euro or US spec?
I saw the guy use a adapter and a hand held device to plug into the 38pin socket, I wish I payed more attention to whether the adapter was an OBD adapter :(

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Mine is an Australian delivered 2001, is that Euro or US spec?
I saw the guy use a adapter and a hand held device to plug into the 38pin socket, I wish I payed more attention to whether the adapter was an OBD adapter :(
Thanks for the vote of confidence, however, Australian cars are most likely Euro OBDII cars.

The round 38pin underhood diagnostic connector is the MB Star access. The rectangular OBD connector would be under driver side dash or on some models under the seat.

Check a local shop on how they work their diagnostics!!

·
Registered
W210 2001 E200k
46 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply, I have both 38 pin(round) and 16 pin(OBD) connectors.
If it is OBD it should have worked with the scanner that I brought(link in previous posts), should I buy a more expensive scanner?

·
Registered
W210 2001 E200k
46 Posts
ok, update time.
I got an AUTEL eu702 scanner and it works a charm!
even graphs data!

maybe the other scanner was faulty/incompatible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts