Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am expecting my new '08 ML320CDI shortly. I am used to doing my own service on all of my past vehicles ('85 Volvo diesel wagon, '83 MB 300TD, '87 300D) and am looking for some advice on any OBD II tools that will work with this vehicle. Thanks in advance...

'08 ML320CDI, PII, Voice, iPod, Trailer Hitch, Obsidian Black, MBTex, Roof Rack, CD Changer, Heating Package, Chrome Door Handles.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
OBD II is a system to display error codes related to various malfunctions.

Anything that malfunctions on your new car will be covered by 4yr/50k mile warranty, and you won't need a reader for four years, then.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As someone who does a lot of his own work on cars - Porsche street/track car not MB (yet!) - I appreciate the interest in OBD scanners. What I can offer that might be helpful is to avoid the Auto Enginuity product. I used this Windows based tool on Volvos, Audis, and Porsches and found it extremely fickle, and more often than not, would not connect to the vehicle. I use the Durametric tool on my Porsche, but it's Porsche specific so won't be much help on an MB.

Hope this helps, at least to rule out an option.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am expecting my new '08 ML320CDI shortly. I am used to doing my own service on all of my past vehicles ('85 Volvo diesel wagon, '83 MB 300TD, '87 300D) and am looking for some advice on any OBD II tools that will work with this vehicle. Thanks in advance...

'08 ML320CDI, PII, Voice, iPod, Trailer Hitch, Obsidian Black, MBTex, Roof Rack, CD Changer, Heating Package, Chrome Door Handles.
You can use any CAN based OBD scanner to pull trouble codes. All current MB vehicle conform to the emissions standards so they are required to support at least the diagnostic codes. If you want to do anything more advanced then you need to purchase a DAS system which is the mercedes product for programming and testing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the inputs.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
643 Posts
use mercedes's star diagnostics as vag-coms for Audi's! u can buy it search!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts