Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
'15 G63; '10 G55K - Sold; '05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I GIVE UP!!! Looks like the G got back burnered ... [V]

I was just told to not bother going to the NY Auto Show to see the 'new' G ... they could not get a MY'07 ready, so they are displaying a MY'06 (which basically is a MY'05 with new wheels [Harald, you were right])

I told him I was sick and tired of waiting, for a G550 or G63, and will just order the G320 CDI ... was told it won't be in the U.S. until at least February of 2007 [xx(]

I will go look at the new JEEP Wrangler 4-door instead [:(]

·
Registered
02 G500
114 Posts
Damn, I thought finally we would have the interior questions answered. When will they debut it now? So much for the 05 G55 huge price drops I guess.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Told it will now get debuted in the U.S. (after it's scheduled release) next Fall

I am guessing they didn't want any distractions from their new GL's

·
Registered
G55K, 360CS, F430
412 Posts
TheDogsCar - 4/11/2006 11:45 AM

I GIVE UP!!! Looks like the G got back burnered ... [V]

I was just told to not bother going to the NY Auto Show to see the 'new' G ... they could not get a MY'07 ready, so they are displaying a MY'06 (which basically is a MY'05 with new wheels [Harald, you were right])

I told him I was sick and tired of waiting, for a G550 or G63, and will just order the G320 CDI ... was told it won't be in the U.S. until at least February of 2007 [xx(]

I will go look at the new JEEP Wrangler 4-door instead [:(]
After all that waiting!!

Did the show car actually have a MY06 window sticker?

·
Registered
2006 BMW X5 / 07' 55k coming
246 Posts
Simply put, the 07' with interior changes was not ready for NY. I wanted to see it myself, but since it was not going to be there, I saw no point in going.

The GL release had nothing to do with MB's decision not to bring the improved G.

Electronics, bits and pieces, wheels, colors, seats, etc., can be expected when the 07' debut happens.

This I hear is a fact.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
500 - 4/11/2006 6:39 PM

The GL release had nothing to do with MB's decision not to bring the improved.

I have to call BS on that thought ... the decision to continue the G was made almost a year ago. It was officially announced almost 6 months ago. I was promised months ago one would be at the NY Auto Show. Besides, to 'mock-up' one for an Auto Show should take a couple weeks; we are talking a mock-up, not a fully functional car. MB choose not to. The debut was held off .... Why???

As for collaboration of the G being sacrificed for another Class ... they told me the delay in the G diesel had to do with the expected increased demand of the new E-Class diesel ("the plants are currently working a double shift for the E's")

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jamison - 4/11/2006 7:32 PM

when is the ny auto show? i think its the 15th. if thats the case im def. going!
Jamison,

It opens to the public on the 14th:

http://www.autoshowny.com/

------------------------------

AGR - 4/11/2006 6:01 PM
AGR,

I was invited to the Press opening tomorrow ... but now not going, so I don't know

·
Registered
G55K, 360CS, F430
412 Posts
TheDogsCar - 4/11/2006 5:00 PM

Jamison - 4/11/2006 7:32 PM

when is the ny auto show? i think its the 15th. if thats the case im def. going!
Jamison,

It opens to the public on the 14th:

http://www.autoshowny.com/

------------------------------

AGR - 4/11/2006 6:01 PM
AGR,

I was invited to the Press opening tomorrow ... but now not going, so I don't know
I'd be very surprised if it was.

·
Registered
2006 BMW X5 / 07' 55k coming
246 Posts
Since we are on the subject of bovine scatology...What was said is that the updated 07'model year with interior updates would not be at the show. I think that is pretty straight forward.

As for the G continuing and the decision to do so, I don't know how you got that out of my post, or even the relevancy..? Sorry if I was too vague.

ps..Why so angry that the current G with some new interior bits is not at the show..? It won't be that much different..!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
500 - 4/12/2006 12:30 AM
Why so angry that the current G with some new interior bits is not at the show..? It won't be that much different..!
My "anger" is as much frustration

I have been in written and verbal correspondence with MB for months ... ever since members of this forum suggested we contact MB management to encourage them to continue production of the G.

I specifically told them how I love the exterior design of the G and how it is the only MB I would consider buying. I explained why I hadn't bought the MY'05 and what features would make me buy a MY'07. MBUSA wrote me in early November, "you will be pleasantly surprised when you experience the MY'07 that will launch in 3rd or 4th quarter of next year". I spoke to them and they described my perfect G and how it would be at the NY Auto Show in April and they would give me a personal tour of the inside and under the hood. I was so excited I even e-mailed my MB Dealer and told them I wanted to place an order, but was told they could not take them yet; so I waited ...

As months went by, I started to hear the engine choices I wanted started being moved farther out ... but I figured I waited this long, might as well see the minimal changes that finally made it in the MY'07 (new more comfortable seats, new instrument clusters/dash, DVD Nav, new bi-xenon headlights, new wheels, new colors) and just make my final decision this week to buy now and flip for the final year (2010?), or leave Mercedes and buy a Ranger Rover or Jeep.

So when I found out this morning that 6 months after they told me of my "pleasant surprise", they still can't get a mock-up together of the minimal changes that got approved for MY'07 ... and that I will have to wait another 5 months to see them ... oh, and btw, the diesel is now nearly a year away, the G63 is about a year away, and the G550 will most likely be Fall 2007 ... I was pissed[:(!]

I understand how deadlines can change ... but 6 months to do a mock-up ... hell, you can build an entire sub-division in 6 months [:eek:)]

----------

P.S. the G55K won't be rear Quad Exhaust, but the G63 will be ... turns out side exhaust is illegal in some States and if they make any changes, the new G63 must comply ... and I thought they were doing that just for me [:D]

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Who is telling you that side exhaust is illegal in some states? I doubt that is true. The Dodge Viper has side exhaust and it isn't a problem.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mb230s - 4/12/2006 8:24 AM
Who is telling you that side exhaust is illegal in some states? I doubt that is true. The Dodge Viper has side exhaust and it isn't a problem.
mb230,

That is what I was told by MBUSA yesterday when I asked if the MY'07 G55K will at least have rear exhaust ...

They said they originally got the G55 approved because they claimed the G55 was a limited edition low production vehicle, but to come out with another model would cause them "problems in some States".

I don't know State laws, so I took them at their word ... but could have been BS since they know I want it.

·
Registered
G55K, 360CS, F430
412 Posts
mb230s - 4/12/2006 5:24 AM

I believe the 'exposed' side pipes, (as used in the '63-67 Vette, and Cobra) was the issue. And weren't they also used on the early Vipers?

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
TheDogsCar - 4/12/2006 9:42 AM

mb230s - 4/12/2006 8:24 AM
mb230,

That is what I was told by MBUSA yesterday when I asked if the MY'07 G55K will at least have rear exhaust ...

They said they originally got the G55 approved because they claimed the G55 was a limited edition low production vehicle, but to come out with another model would cause them "problems in some States".

I don't know State laws, so I took them at their word ... but could have been BS since they know I want it.
Then why is the G500 different - it has side exhaust? Yet all the other engines mentioned to be arriving will retain side exhaust? This doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
AGR - 4/12/2006 9:44 AM

mb230s - 4/12/2006 5:24 AM

I believe the 'exposed' side pipes, (as used in the '63-67 Vette, and Cobra) was the issue. And weren't they also used on the early Vipers?
The 1st several years of Vipers had side pipes, they weren't really "exposed" like the 63 Vette exhaust. They had a cover and were tucked into the sills. Dodge then then went rear exhaust until the new body style came out and the very popular side exhaust returned.

I could understand why "side pipes" might be illegal. The 463 is a side EXIT. I don't see why a tailpipe sticking out in front of the rear tire would be an issue.

I wouldn't want rear exhaust anyway.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
The reason the diesel is coming in Feb-ish '07 is because it will have the new, 50 state legal, bluetec diesel engine.

Mercedes figures it would be cheaper (or more efficient) to produce a diesel engine with bluetec technology, rather than have a MY with the current 320 diesel engine, and then introduce the 50 state legal diesel engine for the next year. Not being able to sell to everyone would hurt sales.

In delaying the diesel engine option, they would avoid losing their loyal diesel customers in the five banned states.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since the E will have the same Bluetec diesel, will it be delayed until Feb 2007 too? That is not what they are claiming in their Press Releases today:

"E 320 BLUETEC – the world’s cleanest diesel vehicle

Since 2004, the E-Class in the guise of the E 320 CDI is the first diesel model in the premium-class segment in the United States. Starting in the fall of 2006 Mercedes-Benz will launch the first BLUETEC production vehicle. The trailblazing BLUETEC technology significantly reduces nitrogen oxide emissions. The E 320 BLUETEC is the world’s cleanest diesel vehicle, using 20 to 40 per cent less fuel than comparable petrol-engined vehicles. In Europe Mercedes-Benz plans to launch BLUETEC in a passenger car model by 2008."

As I was told, the Bluetec diesel's is what the G320 CDI will have, but the alotments are currently going to the new E-Class being debuted today. The plant can only make so many ...

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
RE: BlueTec

Uh, I think I might wait for a couple of model years before I got the first one based on current MB experience. But, hey, that is just me!

[:D]

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RE: BlueTec

Marco,

After reading your post, I thought of the positive spin ...

Instead of thinking that the G63/G550/G320CDI(Bluetec) are being delayed by the other Classes getting priority ... I should think of the other Classes as the 'Guinea Pigs' for the new engines, and that MBUSA only wants the tested engine's in their favorite Class [;)]

I will sleep better tonight [:D]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts