Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300td
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad day at the mechanic. Took it in to have the radiator looked at because the fluid was just leaking out of the bottom. Turns out a nut on the lower left of this picture
. My mechanic wants me to replace the entire radiator since he can't find just that nut. Do any of you guys know where i could get a nut like that?

Let me know if you need more details. As always thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
so it was leaking tranny fluid??? lower left on the pic is a connection for trans cooler lines. as i recall, there is a threaded port there and no nut.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Thats not the drain plug by any chance?

·
Registered
1981 240D California version
169 Posts
There is a blue drainplug on the bottom for draining the coolant. If that is what you are missing, you can find it here at autohausaz.com. Go to the Coolant section and it is called the radiator petcock.
Other than that, there are only hoses going to the radiator. The transmission cooler hoses on the bottom have a rotating nut on them and if those are bad, you need a new hose, not radiator. I'd hate to see you purchase a new radiator when all you need is a $4 petcock or a new hose.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wrote something to that effect and deleted it before posting. what about petcock? I would never let the words "nut on the radiator" and "petcock" go with out jokes in the real world. I just thought I should mind my manners here..

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Bad day at the mechanic. Took it in to have the radiator looked at because the fluid was just leaking out of the bottom. Turns out a nut on the lower left of this picture
. My mechanic wants me to replace the entire radiator since he can't find just that nut. Do any of you guys know where i could get a nut like that?

Let me know if you need more details. As always thanks for all your help.
The nut at that side of the radiator could be the drain plug (petcock, nut, you be the judge)...

Autohausaz.com sells them cheap. Maybe it just needs to be tightened also (a quarter does the trick).

·
Registered
1985 300td
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Other than that, there are only hoses going to the radiator. The transmission cooler hoses on the bottom have a rotating nut on them and if those are bad, you need a new hose, not radiator.
There is definitely a hose connecting to the port in question and that attachment is working fine. It looks to me that the nut i'm talking about holds the threaded part to the radiator which has a sealed o-ring inside. Right now the whole things just moves in and out of the radiator and spills fluid everywhere.

As far as leaking tranny fluid I don't believe that's the case. The Transmission fluid levels are right where they should be but the expansion tank and i'd imagine radiator are totally dry.

I'll try and take some pictures when i get home.

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
If the assembly moves around like you say it does, a new radiator may be the only fix. Make sure coolant is not getting into the tranny fluid.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Ya you didnt say which fluid was leaking. I doubt its mixing, sounds like someone just spun the trans cooler "nut".

You are all nuts :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Those two hoses are transmission fluid only. If the threaded part that the hose screws into is loose, than I guess coolant could leak out through there but it kind of looks like coolant is leaking from the drain plug. Go to you local junkyard and find another one. I almost bought one yesterday just to have a spare but decided not to. Call around to a few junkyards and spend $30. Also, it would help if your photos were right side up..

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
your rad is leaking. Doesn't apear to be leaking at any nuts or bolts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts