Registered
3,729 Posts
Do we get to know?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi ac,

it is the decal from the schmidt u1700 i am in the process of purchasing from merz-ben. the truck's first life was as a street sweeper at a private school, hence the title "nunc est everrandum" = "now is the sweeping". the title was shamelessly hijacked from the bibendum history i learned about on benzworld!

the plan is to turn it into an expedition camper, a la bill caid, and for me and my wife to get into adventures in various north american national parks.

b

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, trev. the cab needs considerable metalwork, but i agree that the decal should remain in some form or fashion. i may end up getting a military cab from merz-ben.

the first order of business will be to get it to texas. so far the u-ship bids all want to retire on this shipment.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
thanks, trev. the cab needs considerable metalwork, but i agree that the decal should remain in some form or fashion. i may end up getting a military cab from merz-ben.

the first order of business will be to get it to texas. so far the u-ship bids all want to retire on this shipment.
Have eye-balled that truck a few times down at Ben's place. You going to put the driver's seat on the correct side?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Is that the one that had the big dump body on it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@lyrch75,

ben has already fixed the issue with the driver's seat location.

@truktor,

i think this is where the surplus parts went (from above)

@edse,

yes, it had a largish dump bed and snow plow at one time. i'm getting it as a chassis/cab.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I drove that truck in 2004, it ran well at the time. Good luck w the purchase.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Ah...D'oh !
Yes, Ben boxed up and shipped the RHD stuff to....uh....ME ! At the shop, and I dutifully
Loaded them into a certain Green Doka that was being shipped to Australia....it all comes back to me now.

Actually, I had no idea which donor truck they might have come from, so I was thinking the
RHD parts might go to Australia...a trip they had already made, with my handprints on them.
The Aussie Govt probably charged Ben an additional $1000 to scrub my handprints off, since
They didn't originate in Australia.

·
Registered
91 Posts
PM'd Contact info
I'll just throw out a shameless plug for Mike Pop. I've bought a winch from him years ago and I just recently had him haul my 404 from NJ to Maine. He is a heck of a good guy and very fairly priced. Definitely worth using.

I think you probably just got his contact info but send me a pm if you need it.

Rodger

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I think that the 1700 is too heavy for mike to haul, it will probably weigh in around 14-15K lbs, and I think Mike's trailer is 14K gvw... but I could be mistaken...

·
Registered
891 Posts
My 1700l cab and chassis weighs 10,780 with 15.5r20 tires on it. Mike should be able to deal with that weight.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Try posting on ytmag.com haul list. I have had good luck with that site. Yes you get the guys who want to retire on you haul, but you also get the guys who will do it for the right price. Right now I am paying $1.60 a mile. So figure anywhere from $1.50 to $2.50 a mile is what you will be paying. Got a mog being delivered tomorrow, $400 for the 251 miles.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts