Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S420
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone heard of this ??
for three months my two center ac/heater vents have not been blowing. the two outsides work fine and the rear as well.
today i was running the AC while doodling around and i decided to push the button on the center console that drops the rear headrests (even though they were already down,, dont ask!! )When i did this, the two center vents kicked on as strong as ever... thought it was a fluke but i stopped TURNED OFF THE CAR, got gas turned on the car and then the AC and the center vents were off. I hit the Dang button and on they came. i did this three or four times. so i can conlude that it was not a fluke.... WTF is that all about ??? I havent had any work done on the car or any new components added.CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW THIS IS POSSIBLE ?????? PLEASE ???? [:0]

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
It's probably some wierd over-engineered MB logic that goes something like this- If you drop the rear headrests, this must mean there is no one sitting in the back therefore, the car can divert all it's resources to cooling the front passengers instead of dividing it between front and rear seats.

How's that for pulling something outta my [:O]

·
Registered
1995 S420
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after further evaluation it was determine that it was probably due to a vaccuum leak and pressing the headrest release button probably provided the extra pressure required to open the the two center vents which i now know are controlled by a vacuum system just as the headrest mech. is..... still kinda strange if u ask me though. oh sorry dont have any pics... of the head rest button but its pretty easy to spot. just look for the little head rest picture on the button in front of the center console arm rest... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts