Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If they were giving away W140s for FREE I don't think anybody would turn one down. But if I were going to BUY a car what does a W140 offer that you can't get in a W126? Door assist? Parktronic? an even more complicated climate system? an evaporator *guaranteed* to fail? IMO all that stuff (and more) is nonsense and for foolish people.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I would most definately want a W140. It is still my dream car and the only thing scaring me is the horrific problems. The interior of the w140 is the "proper" S class interior...its massive but beautiful and still pure benz like.

Nothing will beat a w140 in my books....w126 comes 2nd to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, I'm looking to sell my 140, never drive the damn thing:p

Jonathan

·
Registered
719 Posts
Practicality versus luxury.

Looks versus function.

I'll take the former in both cases. No W140 S-Class for me. I prefer the Benz that defined the image of the American perception of the three pointed star.

Nobody ever mistakes a W126 for a Toyota.[:)]

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
I had a W140 coupe. Comparing the two, the 140 is a whale (sedan). I think that's the year the S-Class started to lose the classic luxury look of the S-Class. It's huge and roomy. But I perfer the W126 because of its timeless design. It's truely a Modern Classic.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Sure its a classic but the w140 is one now too. You CANT mistake the w140 for anyother car other than a Mercedes. Maybe for newer models yes but not the pre 1999 Benzes. Maybe its just me but I find the over-engineering of the 140 to be unreal and just "perfect" for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
forgot about the reliability. Both cars have their reliability issues. With a 126 you could be left stranded on the road during the lifetime of the vehicle as its known for engine issues and constant idle problems...no matter what you do it never runs right and if it does atleast not forever. A w140 will leave you with gadgets not working anymore and no engine issues if any. Both are exspensive to maintain regardless. For example, it would cost me $700 to get a Bose amp fixed in a w140 but it would cost me atleast that much to get decent sound in a w126 and it wouldnt even match the amazing sound you receive with the w140 system.

When I tried both vehicles, and when I got back into my 126 it was like I was back in a MACK truck...its smooth but not smooth...its quiet but not quiet. The w140 is very refined.

Dont get me wrong....im not bashing the w126, its just the w140 is the 126 + better!

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I like the 140, but i'd never trade my 126 for one. The w140s problems can't keep up with the improvements they made.

Also, the styling is too bland, looks too much like a refrigerator. It's like mercedes gave up beauty and just tried to emphasize the bulkiness of the car.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
BOL – can’t agree on that one, but you’ve always been lukewarm on 126s, anyway. No, the 126 is very reliable. The idle issues have much more to do with age rather than design, whereas for the 140 there are design flaws. Both of my 126s are smooth and comfortable – properly maintained and driven, it’s very easy to get one to ‘run right.’
I suspect there will be more 126s on the road in the future than 140s.

That said…

A 300 SE 140 would be neat to own – cool engine and five forward speeds. The 140’s have a great look, although not the last of the excellent build quality Benz – that goes to the 126 – it has a very attractive appearance and is still a bank vault on wheels. If I take my time, was super, super careful, and got a thorough bumper to bumper, I’ll bet a good example can be had.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Gone over this before but - When the 140 came out, all the reviews that I read talked about how ugly and slab-sided it was. Since at the time I had a 3 year old 126 w/ less than 4k on it, I ignored the 140. When I finally decided to buy a new MB, they were changing to the 220. I called all around the country for a 140. Everybody was selling the remaining 140's for HUGE markups over sticker. The 140 grew on people. I ended up with a 2001 220. I talked myself into it. The car has only 24k on it now. I call it a woman's beauty shop car. Not manly at all. If I could have purchased a new 140, in retrospect, I should have. Would I buy a used one, never.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The 126 is reliable but since 91 we had our 83 380 and it always had the jerky tranny and idle issues about every 2-3yrs. Otherwise yeah its a hell of a reliable car. Suspension can be much better but I have to remind myself what yr the car came out and then it surprises me how advanced it is.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Benzonline - 3/16/2005 2:22 PM

forgot about the reliability. Both cars have their reliability issues. With a 126 you could be left stranded on the road during the lifetime of the vehicle as its known for engine issues and constant idle problems...no matter what you do it never runs right and if it does atleast not forever. A w140 will leave you with gadgets not working anymore and no engine issues if any. Both are exspensive to maintain regardless. For example, it would cost me $700 to get a Bose amp fixed in a w140 but it would cost me atleast that much to get decent sound in a w126 and it wouldnt even match the amazing sound you receive with the w140 system.

Dont get me wrong....im not bashing the w126, its just the w140 is the 126 + better!
Sorry, but I have to disagree on a multitude of fronts. What engine issues are these cars known for? Change the timing chain every 100K, heads every 200K and you can Not kill these motors aside from overheating or no oil. 140's on the other hand have some of the most finicky electronics known to man. Ignition control units like to die w/ no warning, Freaky ASR sensors can all but make it impossible to go forward and a bit of low voltage causes the whole car to lose it's mind.

All the engines that came in the 140 are known for issues.. The M104 likes to eat head gaskets for breakfast, the M119 is the best of the lot, but still needs it's chain looked after, the M120 is prone to leaking oil 8 ways to Sunday as well as it's hyd. lifters and you don't want to Know how many hours it takes to change lifters on them
No one even knows what happens to an M120 w/ serious mileage as everyone is afraid ($$$) to find out.

Constant idle problems? My 126's don't have constant idle problems by any means and I'm on #5 for 126 560's. I'll find them w/ the occasional vacuum leak or a faulty idle valve or control unit but once tended to life is a smooth 550-600 RPM's.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the Bose bits that come standard in the 140 sound mediocre at best. So much low end boom, my music was never meant to sound like that.
It if wasn't such a nightmare of wiring I would gut the 140 and do it w/ some proper stereo equipment. My 126's after a few grand blow my 140 away in quality and quantity of sound.

Not the best sales pitch for a guy looking to sell his 140;-)

Jonathan

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
cyberdrakon - 3/16/2005 2:22 PM
[on W140] Also, the styling is too bland, looks too much like a refrigerator.
LOL, for some reason, W140 to attract food-related analogies - I tend to see them as a big fat side of beef, but it's meant as a compliment. Like Mr. T below, W140 has grown on me. I don't think I'd like to own and maintain one, but I'd like someone to own one and let me drive it from time to time [:)]. As for W220s...

MRTIKKET - 3/16/2005 7:29 PM
[on W220] I call it a woman's beauty shop car. Not manly at all.
LOL again, right on.

For me W108, W116, and W126 are what comes to mind when I think of Mercedes-Benz.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
jhodg5ck - 3/16/2005 11:41 PM

Benzonline - 3/16/2005 2:22 PM

Sorry, but I have to disagree on a multitude of fronts. What engine issues are these cars known for? Change the timing chain every 100K, heads every 200K and you can Not kill these motors aside from overheating or no oil. 140's on the other hand have some of the most finicky electronics known to man. Ignition control units like to die w/ no warning, Freaky ASR sensors can all but make it impossible to go forward and a bit of low voltage causes the whole car to lose it's mind.

All the engines that came in the 140 are known for issues.. The M104 likes to eat head gaskets for breakfast, the M119 is the best of the lot, but still needs it's chain looked after, the M120 is prone to leaking oil 8 ways to Sunday as well as it's hyd. lifters and you don't want to Know how many hours it takes to change lifters on them
No one even knows what happens to an M120 w/ serious mileage as everyone is afraid ($$$) to find out.

Constant idle problems? My 126's don't have constant idle problems by any means and I'm on #5 for 126 560's. I'll find them w/ the occasional vacuum leak or a faulty idle valve or control unit but once tended to life is a smooth 550-600 RPM's.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the Bose bits that come standard in the 140 sound mediocre at best. So much low end boom, my music was never meant to sound like that.
It if wasn't such a nightmare of wiring I would gut the 140 and do it w/ some proper stereo equipment. My 126's after a few grand blow my 140 away in quality and quantity of sound.

Not the best sales pitch for a guy looking to sell his 140;-)

Jonathan

Boy do I agree with you. And don't forget about the wire harnesses, which like to go bad, as well as the vacuum assist pumps. And Benzonline, you probably haven't seen a w140 with its interior gutted, in person, to replace the ac evaporator, which is virtually guaranteed to fail, whole entire in front of the passegers seats is gone, all you see are thousands of wires. That will turn anybody off to the w140. But you have got to love the Brabus 7.4L V12, what a monster!!!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I collect every interesting benz picture I find on the internet....and I collect w140 pictures in particular becuase this is the car that started my fasination with Mercedes vehicles.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts