Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vance bulletin that they are now encountering a shortage of wheels against existing production schedule.. there seems to be a shortage of the specail BB allow for the wheel makers... has to be this specific alloy to meet worldwide standards, not enough alloy at the moment, cannot make enough allow wheels to make Vance's production schedule... Keep the faith !

·
Registered
58 Posts
We're still running the cars, just with temporary wheels. I guess the suppler has sent seconds and scratched ones to get them off the line. As you stated it, is just a style or two that it affects.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does the factory have a stock of the 20-inch wheels that will be fitted with the Dynamic Handling Package available in January?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really couldn't tell. All of our parts are literally jit [just in time], with the exceptions of trial cars such as the GL version of the 166. Those are set out about a day ahead. The rims and tires however are on a conveyor system and those are sequenced parts that are jit. We keep a few spares around to limp one off if we get a bad rim or severely damaged one, that's it. Please don't ask me about the new GL, it's coming along nicely is about all I can say. Ps I really like it, so I think you all will too.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Good to hear........

I really couldn't tell. All of our parts are literally jit [just in time], with the exceptions of trial cars such as the GL version of the 166. Those are set out about a day ahead. The rims and tires however are on a conveyor system and those are sequenced parts that are jit. We keep a few spares around to limp one off if we get a bad rim or severely damaged one, that's it. Please don't ask me about the new GL, it's coming along nicely is about all I can say. Ps I really like it, so I think you all will too.
One quick question........does your management share the lastest results in JD Power ranking for your vehicles and the automotive plant rankings ????

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, they actually base our team share off of it to an extent. The better the vehicles we make do, the more we are rewarded. We have daily updates on any quality problems that pertain to our area before start up. They actually pull cars off after they are said ''to be ready for shipment'' and reinspect them again. Any problems that are found, are fixed, fed back to the people that didn't catch it, and the people who could have possibly caused the problem. Not their goal per exactly, but mine, build it once and build it right. If it has to be fixed or repaired, I wasted my time and their money putting it together. We're human and mistakes will be made, but I prefer I hear no one's name mentioned, but especially mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI, I had a 2012 ML350 on order for months, November 14 production date, dealer told me to expect delivery week after Thanksgiving. Long story short, I sold my 2003 ML right when the new car was due in, only to get a call that day from the dealer that the car was never built due to the wheel shortage. The new build date was delayed until late December. I called MBUSA and was told that they knew nothing about the wheel shortage and that a case worker would call me within 24 hours. No call. Nothing!!!! Because I was stranded and couldn't wait until January for a tentative delivery date, I had to buy an acceptable replacement (not all of the options I wanted) that is being transported from another dealer, 500 miles away at MY COST! I've had 7 MB's since 1989 and this is the worst experience I could have imagined.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I had to buy an acceptable replacement (not all of the options I wanted) that is being transported from another dealer, 500 miles away at MY COST!
If true this is totally, 100%, unacceptable.
Couldn't they lease you a pre-owned vehicle off the lot for a month?
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
If true??? 100% the truth. Too late for the short term lease. I saw no way out and already signed the papers. I received an exceptional deal on the new car, I just have to wait another week to 10 days. The ubsurdity is compounded in that MBUSA never called me back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wish I could tell you more on something like that, we just build them by the broadcast sheet. We can kick cars out in many different places through out the plant for any reason. I would make the dealer make it right or keep complaining til someone off set some or all of the cost. I wouldn't have sold one until I got the other one myself, but with times being hard, you need to sell something when you get a buyer. I hate to here when a customer isn't happy, but unfortunately, it sounds like MBUSA/dealer is the one giving you the problem. We've have supplier problems we have to work through, especially on a new model build. We had one supplier have to play catch up recently when their computers went down due a lightning storm in their area. That deal ended up making us work a Saturday on both shifts if I remember correctly. We been working 9+ hrs a day on two shifts trying to fill the orders and make up loss production due to setbacks, supplier problems, and etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wish I could tell you more on something like that, we just build them by the broadcast sheet. We can kick cars out in many different places through out the plant for any reason. I would make the dealer make it right or keep complaining til someone off set some or all of the cost. I wouldn't have sold one until I got the other one myself, but with times being hard, you need to sell something when you get a buyer. I hate to here when a customer isn't happy, but unfortunately, it sounds like MBUSA/dealer is the one giving you the problem. We've have supplier problems we have to work through, especially on a new model build. We had one supplier have to play catch up recently when their computers went down due a lightning storm in their area. That deal ended up making us work a Saturday on both shifts if I remember correctly. We been working 9+ hrs a day on two shifts trying to fill the orders and make up loss production due to setbacks, supplier problems, and etc.
Nothing wrong with a little OT around Christmas, nit2wn!! Keep an eye out for a Diamond white w/P95 headed for SC with a Jan 3rd build date! ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bud, if you only knew how many white ones we run a day. They don't have the headlights in them when I see them either. The only destination we see is land code, yours is 705- a USA car car. I know very few of the land codes as they don't pertain to my parts installs. Since yours is a Jan 3rd car supposedly, we'll either build it by Dec 23, or actually on Jan 3 or at the latest one day later. That being said, I'm assuming it won't get kicked out for some reason. We have two at the beginning of our line that have been there at least 3 days for some reason. We will be off for Christmas shutdown in between those two dates. They may ship cars some during that time though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bud, if you only knew how many white ones we run a day. They don't have the headlights in them when I see them either. The only destination we see is land code, yours is 705- a USA car car. I know very few of the land codes as they don't pertain to my parts installs. Since yours is a Jan 3rd car supposedly, we'll either build it by Dec 23, or actually on Jan 3 or at the latest one day later. That being said, I'm assuming it won't get kicked out for some reason. We have two at the beginning of our line that have been there at least 3 days for some reason. We will be off for Christmas shutdown in between those two dates. They may ship cars some during that time though.
I completely understand. I was joking and thought it get a good laugh! Have a safe and relaxing break over Christmas!

Side question, does MB have a program that would allow you to pick the car up from the plant? I'm from FLorence, AL and it wouldnt bother me one bit to pick it up on my way back to SC. Also, it would be cool to see the plant up close.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Umm good question, I really don't know to be honest. They have suspended plant tours in our plant due to us running 2013 trails of the x166 [new GL]. They might would let you see the museum and plant one though. It's still running the current GL until July of next year. I did laugh about checking on your car, and meant to see when the cars we ran today were due off final line, but forgot. We do have a white M Class kicked out at the end of our line with a USA build code, however I really doubt it's yours. I did remember to check on that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What if a vehicle gets stuck midway on the line during the Christmas shutdown?

Tires slowly going flat, mice building nests in the engine bay, security guards eating Christmas takeout in the back seat, getting drunk on beer, throwing up on the carpet . . .

Then again, I could be overthinking this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Umm good question, I really don't know to be honest. They have suspended plant tours in our plant due to us running 2013 trails of the x166 [new GL]. They might would let you see the museum and plant one though. It's still running the current GL until July of next year. I did laugh about checking on your car, and meant to see when the cars we ran today were due off final line, but forgot. We do have a white M Class kicked out at the end of our line with a USA build code, however I really doubt it's yours. I did remember to check on that.
too funny! Thanks for the check! I am going to stop by on my way home and hope for the best! see if i cant sway them a little with my build sheet! lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It sits there until next year, the tires aren't put on until the end of final line 3. The cars aren't put on the ground until half way down final line four. I believe all of those will be finished up and gotten off the line. No one is suppose to be in the cars unless you are working on them running diagnostic test. Never saw a rat/mouse yet unless you count the ones on the computers. Now we do have deer, ducks,geese and and fish in a pond. No alcohol allowed on plant premises other than wood grain. I don't even think the plants in Germany allow it anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts