Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the last abomination of a car I looked at (refer to my previous post), this one seems in another league!

It's a 1993 Sportline edition with ony 161,000km (+-100,000miles) on the clock in excellent condition!

What I would like to know is, is there anything specific I should look out for on the sportline edition? Is is normally hard to get suspension spares for these, or are the wearable parts the same as the standard w124?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and were there any engine mods made to this model or was it just aesthetic and suspension?

·
Registered
243 Posts
The complete Sportline package would have consisted of

Smaller Steering Wheel
Tighter Steering Box
Sportline Badges on the Front Quarter Panels and on the Gearshift
Sportline Bucket Seats Front and Rear
Sportline Coil Springs and Sportline Struts
Sportline Swaybars
Sportline Rubber Bushings... Lower Control Arms for one and the rear subframe for another.

No engine modifications were made. All parts are still available for replacement.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to look at the car today. I was impressed from first sight. The body looked solid and the engine compartment immaculate.

The interior has a few things needing to be done, like repairing/replacing one electric window motor or the switch, fixing the one interior door handle. But the seat all round are in excellent condition. No noticeable wear on the leather.

I took it for a test drive and it drives like new. I was very impressed. Plus it also only has 154,000km's on the clock!

When I got back from the test drive I started on a more thorough inspection of the vehicle. I took out the front carpets to check the floorboards. First the driver's side, which was 100% fine then the passenger side.....:eek:

There is so much rust on the front passenger side floorboard. I could push the floorboard from the underside and see it move on the inside. I'm pretty sure I could have pulled the section out there and then, but I don't think the seller would have liked that...

I'm so dissapointed. My questions are as follows:
1) Has anyone had experience with rust in the floorboards of a w124?
2) Is it a serious problem or can it be fixed so that it won't continue rusting?
3) Is it worth negotiating the price down based on the additional costs of repairing the rust?
4) I'm assuming there must be a water leak on that side of the car that caused this. Is there a common leaking place which can be repaired?

The car is so great otherwise. I was getting ready to make him an offer before I saw this:( Please help me with some advice. It will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

P.S.Another sideline question. I plugged in the VIN number on the russian MB club page to verify the Sportline designation. It didn't come up with the 952 or 953 codes. The VIN number is WDB1240236b627760. It doesn't bother me too much whether it is or isn't. It'd just be interesting to know. There weren't any badges to show it is a "sportline" but it did seem to have more bolstering on the seats compared to other models I've driven. And it has the 8 hole alloys with wider tyres....

·
Registered
243 Posts
In the United States we see rust at the jack points and sometimes behind the front fenders. Leaves can accumulate and collect water provoking the decay. The Estates have their own issues but in general these cars don't corrode easily.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the United States we see rust at the jack points and sometimes behind the front fenders. Leaves can accumulate and collect water provoking the decay. The Estates have their own issues but in general these cars don't corrode easily.
I don't have much experience with this and need to know if the rust in the floorboards is a serious problem or something easily rectified, albeit with a little bit of $$$?

I'd hate to turn away the car for something that can be remedied:)

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Rust like that and it isn't even a Sportline - not a close call. The rust you see is just the tip of the iceberg. You need to keep looking.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rust like that and it isn't even a Sportline - not a close call. The rust you see is just the tip of the iceberg. You need to keep looking.
There didn't seem to be much rust elsewhere. I thought, or rather hoped, that it would be isolated to that area due to a water leak. But i'd definitely have a thorough check done before proceeding. In your opinion, can the floorboard be repaired adequately enough for it not to be a problem in future?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Let me just add an important note on this rust issue:

Every W124 (each and every single one) will eventually need to have the heater core (its inside the dashboard, the radiator that heats the air that comes inside) replaced.

If a car sits for a long time and its not driven frequently this problem will come sooner. The coolant that stays for months inside the radiator will result in a early intervention on this subject.

My 230CE was leaking on the exact same area (passenger foot) and the culprit was infact the heater core. Had to remove the whole dashboard to get to it but it was done by 2 persons in less than 1 day.

Another thing to check is if there's any leak in the windshield sealant... Check also the "sponge" pipes that drain the A/C condensation. These "pipes" are located one on each side of the central console, near the stereo / head unit. The left one can be draining the condensation to the passenger floorboard.

I believe the current floorboard and be repaired with ease... I say this because everyday I see cars that were wrecked BADLY and come out of the workshop "like new". So a floorboard should be no problem...

Best of luck with it and some pics of the car would surely be appreciated :D

Cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke to my local mercedes mechanic. He said the rust in the floorboard isn't much of an issue.

I'm now going to arrange to take the car to a bodyshop to do a thorough search for more rust.

Any tips on where else to look to make sure? I'm 90% sure the rust in the floorboard was a from a leak so I'm not expecting to find rust anywhere else....hold thumbs!!

If all goes well I'll get the car soon:) Will then post pics.

Jason
P.S. Does anyone know what option code 039 is? When I put in the VIN number posted above in the Russian MB club page it comes up with that code but says unknown??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best of luck with it and some pics of the car would surely be appreciated :D

Cheers
I only have the following pic so far. It's from the autotrader website it is advertised on. Sorry it's so small:eek: When I see the car again I'll take some more pictures...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts