Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG - Blk
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery this weekend of a bouncing baby SLK55. Haven't stopped driving it since. Here are a few pics. The tech at the dealer did an awesome job installing the stealth mini-Sirius as you can see. Dealer also had Invinca-Shield install a clear bra. I think it looks great. Others may not like the line. To each his own :)

The garage is temorarily full - M3 on its way out in mid-June :( Gonna miss that rocket, but the 55 is some kinda wicked machine! As others have said before me, can't wait til I hit 1,000 miles ---whooooosssh!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is your Sat. antenna under the mesh? If so how is the reception. Very nice looking. Is so sweet install someone was thinking.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG - Blk
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reception is great since the "mesh" is only plastic - no interference at all. I thought I had a larger pic of the antenna, but I resized the original already. Yeah, I asked the tech if he could install it there and he said it would be no problem. He and the salesman were very accommodating in that regard.

The idea of the location actually came from masmole as he had it done on his car before.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Hey, nice idea for the antenna! MB, TAKE NOTE!!!

How do you like the car in comparison to the M3? Don't worry, I understand you might have 'special feelings' for the M3 since you've had it longer and know it like the back of your hand [:)] But hope you're not disappointed in any way!

Now that you have two bad ass cars in your garage, what's next [:D] ?

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Once you hit 1,000 miles I don't think you will miss the M3. Unless you need more than two seats.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Snowball - 5/11/2005 8:55 AM

Once you hit 1,000 miles I don't think you will miss the M3. Unless you need more than two seats.
I agree from my own exp. The SLK55 sounds a lot better (No rasp. you knwo waht I mean!) and it feels like it is quicker. I have been getting a lot of complments from my neighbors, which I did not get for my M3.. The only thing that You might miss is the transmission. I have been driving my 55 in the man mode unless I's in a stop and go circumstance. I am getting used to it and its alot more fun than driving in the auto.

Congrats, M3eee!! Put more miles and have fun!! (do not smoke anyone, though, except for salmon!!).

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG - Blk
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heheh - shinigami - I hafta give this one a good 3 years to break it in right - so, we'll have to see what's available then. I can wait - my 55'll keep me happy til then.

Two seats is all I need now - my boys are both in college (well, the 2nd one is on his way in the fall). I have an SUV for any snowy roads, but in NC they are more icy than snowy.

I won't miss the rasp of the M3's muffler since I sold it Saturday afternoon. Buyer takes delivery in mid-June. He has to wait to get the $$ - but then again, I had to wait 9 months for that car myself. Since I can't really push the 55 too hard right now, I do miss the pep and power of the M3, especially when I put it in sport mode. I do miss shifting, but I tend to alternate between Sport and Manual on the 55. I love the rumble. [:D]

At 300 miles so far, I'm being real good about the "No Smoking" policy - This machine, like the M3, can be a handful if you're not careful.

By the way, when I picked up the 55 Friday night, the dealer had a CL65 on the floor awaiting delivery. It was freakin' BEEEYOOOTIFULLL!! A V-12 Bi-Turbo - it sounded wicked when the salesman had to move it to get mine out of the showroom. The only problem I could see was the HUGE Sirius antenna bolted to the trunk of this $177,000 sticker beauty. What a shame the buyer didn't join this forum and learn what I learned about stealth antennas. For that and all the other things I learned about the SLK on this board, I thank you one and all!

Oh yeah, did I happen to mention how much I LOVE to drive 55!!!! (the CAR, not the speed limit).

Cheers!

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Beeeeaaauuuuuutiful! Congrats, you will fall in love with it if you haven't already. And when you're done with break-in, you will become obsessed with the music it makes at full throttle, or any throttle. This is definitely one of the most lusty and best sounding cars I've ever driven. Refined yet mean at the same time. And then you put the top down... and it sounds even better. It's like turning up the volume on your favorite song. [:D]

I'm with MKSM3 though... having owned all manual cars since the first car I bought in '99, something in the back of my head still keeps wishing it was classic gear-lever manual. I thought I was over it but once in a while, a regret pops its ugly head. I'm sure not all feel this way since this car is spectacular as an automatic. Just a personal issue that will nag me and likely result in me only keeping this car for 1-2 years at most. But that doesn't mean I won't have a smile from ear to ear throughout my entire ownership experience.

Enjoy it in good health.

Curious, how much did your dealer charge you for the Sirius install with the custom antenna location?

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG - Blk
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He nailed me for $300 more than the "factory" (VPC) install. But I am personally happier with stealth for the extra $300. Like the clear bra, it's a personal preference.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
That's not bad, they got me for $500 over the VPC install cost. I'm with you, still worth every penny just for the stealth especially since my car is Iridium.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts