Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Equal Opportunity Offender
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throughout my 4 1/2 month ownership of the W164, I must admit that I didn't pay too close attention to the needs of the ML320. Today, I realized the oil is about 1000 miles past my 5000 mile due mark. Also, after the lady pulled the ML to the garage door for my task of restoring it to driveable condition, I took note of some unsettling things that need immediate attention.
1. The headlights are horribly fogged. Time for some heavy duty polishing with Plastix.
2. The carpet is horribly dirty from several months of little girl spilling her drink and general 'ride it hard and put it up wet' treatment by the wife.
3. The brakes are VERY spongy. Maybe since I've driven the W164 and the new F150, the brakes just 'feel' that way. But my instincts tell me that a good flush will remedy this problem. Opinions?
4. Air filter. Oh, please, I'll not even GO THERE!
5. Plastic piece broken on driver seat. I'll look into repairing that today as well.
6. Rough idle and near stall. Still a mystery but a member here did suggest I look into a TPS. Who knows? But plugs and wires are new along with fuel filter, fuel pump and CPS. So those items are eliminated.

I'll get on this thing now and I hope I'm done by nightfall.

If you ever see 'Lady Driven' in a sell ad, take it with a grain of salt.:(

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,531 Posts
The brake thing is due to the F150, though it wouldn't hurt flushing if not done in the past 2-yrs. The filter thing, well, if you've been following my filter experiments, you know what I have. I'll send you the MAHLE filter free - just pay shipping. There's nothing wrong with it, but I prefer the OEM. Alternatively, the OEM is inexpensive.

You didn't mention the cabin filter - probably need to be replaced too.

Hey, that's family life. Thank goodness mine are now semi-adults and my wife has her own car to mess up and then ask me to clean her up - the car, that is! I just did a complete in/out on her 325i last weekend, including paint cleaning-polish-wax. She loves it,...until it's all filthy again!

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430 and 2003 ML55
1,956 Posts
Don't bother with the Plastix. Its a great product for very light scratches but you need a more aggressive product. I recommend this one by 3M:

3M/Headlight lens restorer kit includes pad holder, 6 pcs. sanding disc, 4 pcs. finishing disc, Trizact disc, 1 oz. headlight lens polish and Buffing Pad | Headlight Lens Restorer | AutoZone.com

A couple of hours (or in my case, a couple of brewskis), a variable speed drill and a few towels is all that is needed for an amazing transformation to like-new headlights. Every now and then you run across a product that lives up to the hype. This kit is one of them.

Good luck with the interior !!

·
11,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't bother with the Plastix. Its a great product for very light scratches but you need a more aggressive product. I recommend this one by 3M:

3M/Headlight lens restorer kit includes pad holder, 6 pcs. sanding disc, 4 pcs. finishing disc, Trizact disc, 1 oz. headlight lens polish and Buffing Pad | Headlight Lens Restorer | AutoZone.com

A couple of hours (or in my case, a couple of brewskis), a variable speed drill and a few towels is all that is needed for an amazing transformation to like-new headlights. Every now and then you run across a product that lives up to the hype. This kit is one of them.

Good luck with the interior !!
Thanks for the suggestion. I may try it next time since I've already completed the restoration. But, I started with Meguirs #2 glaze. It really took a big portion of the oxidation off. I finished with Plastix and polished with wax. You're right that Plastix isn't all that great.

·
11,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The brake thing is due to the F150, though it wouldn't hurt flushing if not done in the past 2-yrs.
You're probably partly right but these brakes are REALLY spongy.

Darkmann said:
The filter thing, well, if you've been following my filter experiments, you know what I have. I'll send you the MAHLE filter free - just pay shipping. There's nothing wrong with it, but I prefer the OEM. Alternatively, the OEM is inexpensive.
I had a Purolator on the shelf and I used it. I'll probably go with the OEM next time. Thanks for the offer.

Darkmann said:
You didn't mention the cabin filter - probably need to be replaced too.
I never checked the cabin filter. I'm sure it needs it. Thanks for the remind because I'd plain forgot to check it.

Darkmann said:
Hey, that's family life. Thank goodness mine are now semi-adults and my wife has her own car to mess up and then ask me to clean her up - the car, that is! I just did a complete in/out on her 325i last weekend, including paint cleaning-polish-wax. She loves it,...until it's all filthy again!
Yeah, tell me about it. I have to work on the carpet later because I had forgotten about the non-functioning front windshield washer. Sooooo, I found that the pump was bad since I was getting power to the plug according to my voltage meter. Since my wife doesn't use the rear washer, I took out the harness and disconnected the plugs and moved the FRONT washer plug to the REAR washer pump. Afterwards, to avoid getting fluid on the ABS system, I stuffed a towel underneath the washer tank pump area and disconnected the hose for the front washer and plugged the bad pump with a nipple cap I had. Then, I quickly pulled off the rear hose, stoppered it up and placed the front washer hose on the rear pump. Now we have windshield washer on the front glass.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430 and 2003 ML55
1,956 Posts
Throughout my 4 1/2 month ownership of the W164, I must admit that I didn't pay too close attention to the needs of the ML320. Today, I realized the oil is about 1000 miles past my 5000 mile due mark. Also, after the lady pulled the ML to the garage door for my task of restoring it to driveable condition, I took note of some unsettling things that need immediate attention.
1. The headlights are horribly fogged. Time for some heavy duty polishing with Plastix.
2. The carpet is horribly dirty from several months of little girl spilling her drink and general 'ride it hard and put it up wet' treatment by the wife.
3. The brakes are VERY spongy. Maybe since I've driven the W164 and the new F150, the brakes just 'feel' that way. But my instincts tell me that a good flush will remedy this problem. Opinions?
4. Air filter. Oh, please, I'll not even GO THERE!
5. Plastic piece broken on driver seat. I'll look into repairing that today as well.
6. Rough idle and near stall. Still a mystery but a member here did suggest I look into a TPS. Who knows? But plugs and wires are new along with fuel filter, fuel pump and CPS. So those items are eliminated.

I'll get on this thing now and I hope I'm done by nightfall.

If you ever see 'Lady Driven' in a sell ad, take it with a grain of salt.:(
I thought you had agreed that the Plastix was not aggressive enough....too much work for the outcome.

A while back, I just outright bought a box online of the 3M Quick HEADLIGHT CLEAR COAT. Comes in small little packets ..40 to a box...Thats like a lifetime supply.

Of course the magic occurs with the preparation before applying the clear coat. And thats all about using finer and finer abrasives to get to a surface ready for the clear coat. You want your final abrasive to be P3000 or maybe even finer. Then open first packet apply and let dry. Follow up with second packet and you are done !!

Attachments

·
Registered
ML320 W163 2000 189 7 seater
27 Posts
I thought you had agreed that the Plastix was not aggressive enough....too much work for the outcome.

A while back, I just outright bought a box online of the 3M Quick HEADLIGHT CLEAR COAT. Comes in small little packets ..40 to a box...Thats like a lifetime supply.

Of course the magic occurs with the preparation before applying the clear coat. And thats all about using finer and finer abrasives to get to a surface ready for the clear coat. You want your final abrasive to be P3000 or maybe even finer. Then open first packet apply and let dry. Follow up with second packet and you are done !!
I repolished my headlights earlier in the summer, it made a massive difference, much more than I thought it would but I haven't applied any clearcoat yet. I started with 80 grit cloth backed abrasive used dry and then wet and dry paper used wet and worked all the way up to 12,000 mesh MicroMesh, but really, I should have been more thorough in the early stages. If it had been a nice piece of rosewood I would have gone back to 180 grit and kept redoing it but I couldn't be bothered. If I was doing it again, I would put masking tape on the surrounding body work as the edges got a bit scratched. Obviously it would do a better job to remove the headlights completely...

·
Registered
2001 ML430
504 Posts
Guys, for headlights, get a spray can of automotive clear coat paint. Sand your headlights with wet 400 then 600 then 800 and finish with 1000 grit. Takes maybe 20 minutes a side. Clean them really good then shoot them with clear coat paint. Done. Will look fantastic for many years. See how these look like new? I bought them used and they were quite faded and yellow. Took me all of an hour to do both sides.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,984 Posts
Ordinary tooth paste does work quite well that is the standard old fashion white kind. It should be equal to about 600 grit sand paper.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,271 Posts
Ordinary tooth paste does work quite well that is the standard old fashion white kind. It should be equal to about 600 grit sand paper.
Yeah but Wally our MLs teeth should be the Grille, not the headlamps, right ?
The headlamps are its Eyes.
So the toothpaste is for the Grille...or so I imagine...lol.

Cheers - David

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Guys, for headlights, get a spray can of automotive clear coat paint. Sand your headlights with wet 400 then 600 then 800 and finish with 1000 grit. Takes maybe 20 minutes a side. Clean them really good then shoot them with clear coat paint. Done. Will look fantastic for many years. See how these look like new? I bought them used and they were quite faded and yellow. Took me all of an hour to do both sides.

View attachment 2651160
My neighbor is an on site Body Man / Painter and he did exactly what Porschescum says here 3 summers ago to the MLs lamp assembles. The only diff being he sprayed from his specialty Gun using clear, versus a Can of clear - but result would be the same.
They still are crystal clear - just wash the bugs off.

David

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Porschescum:

Very interesting front brush guard bumper.

You made it ?

Have you done a thread on it ?

My Favorite Ive seen, btw.

(No thread hijack intended sorry)

Have you clearer pictures ?

Thx David in Texas

·
11,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

View attachment 2651160
For severe fogging, I’ve done this but I now use Mcgueirs chrome wheel polish. Works great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts