Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
450 SL, 1972
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! This is my first posting here. I would really appreciate your help.

I'm buying a 450 SL (1972), but there are couple of things make me hestitate:

Ticking over is about 1500 rpm when engine is 175 F. What it should be?

When idle the whole car is vibrating a bit all the time. Is there something wrong with the cardan shaft?

Heater does not give any warm. Is it hard/expensive to fix? AC is ok.

Fuel consumption is approx 14 l/100 km with highway driving 80 km/h average speed. Too high?

The car is in excellent paint except in the truck where corrosion is quite bad just above the tank. Typical for the old R107:s?

Starter sometimes just run but does not start the car. Then it suddenly starts without any problem. Any ideas?

Thanks beforehand!

-Amigo

·
Registered
1972 350SL Auto
17 Posts
Tickover too high. Should be 700-800. Easily adjusted by a screw near the air filter.
Sho...

Tickover too high. Should be 700-800. Easily adjusted by a screw near the air filter.
Should be no vibration (ever!). This is normally a very smooth engine. May be a blocked injector causing an engine imbalance.
To contradict the above point the consumption sounds good. My '72 350 SL does 15-16 litres/100.
Starter problem again ponts to injectors. Run the car with some injector cleaner in the fuel. The difference after a tankful can be quite amazing!

·
Registered
'89 560SL
47 Posts
Idle should be down around 600-700 rpm or so. There are several points in the fuel system...

Idle should be down around 600-700 rpm or so. There are several points in the fuel system that can produce problems here.
The heat system can be problematic; I don't know the earlier system in detail, as mine has the later automatic system.
All things considered, you're identifying a number of problems with this car. Are you sure you don't want to keep looking for a better example?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts