Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 G-500 has a signficiantly noticeable list or lean to the driver side. I measured the lean and the body of the vehicle sits one inch lower on the diver side than it does on the passenger side. I measured from the axel hubs so it's not tire inflation. I took it to the local dealer and even called Mercedes to complain (as the tilt affects the handling) and was told that most of the G's have the tilt and that I should get used to it. Anyone else dealt with this situation? Is there any remedy that someone has heard of? Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
jacke - 5/3/2005 4:51 PM

My 2002 G-500 has a signficiantly noticeable list or lean to the driver side. I measured the lean and the body of the vehicle sits one inch lower on the diver side than it does on the passenger side. I measured from the axel hubs so it's not tire inflation. I took it to the local dealer and even called Mercedes to complain (as the tilt affects the handling) and was told that most of the G's have the tilt and that I should get used to it. Anyone else dealt with this situation? Is there any remedy that someone has heard of? Thanks.
It's very common and quite normal. I have it on mine (more like 1 1/2 inches), and have never noticed any detrimental handling because of it.

Trim packers can be used to off set it, but why bother? FWIW, my 1984 280GE also had it to a lesser extent.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
the leaning body will have no effect on handling - since it does not change the suspension geometry.

However, I admit it looks strange. As Dutch wrote, you can get trim packers from Mercedes for a few Dollars - they will adjust the leaning to a neutal standing.

Harald

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
yup me too. I'm tempted by the trim packers... but i'm lazier than i am tempted.

But i think it would be nice to know the root cause... i find it little odd they've never addressed it in 25 years, or even bothered to find the root cause for others to fix if they care.

Next question to the original poster... How is your handling affected? You may have a handling problem people can help with, you've just misdiagnosed the cause and we're responding to that instead.

·
Registered
'05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
469 Posts
The boxy body makes the tilt very noticable, and is extremely common in the G's.

I am looking to buy a pre-owned one, and the 3 questions I ask are:

1) Has it been smoked in?

2) When did the warranty start?

3) Does it tilt?

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
For the record what are trim packers, what do they look like and where on the vehicle do they fit? I never paid much attention to see if my G tilts...come to think of it, it does but the tilt is so small that it's hardly noticable. [:I]

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Thedogscar... you know if i were going it another round, i'd also be tempted to get bodywork and alignment information, although i'd probably do that after you had put a downpayment or as part of the bargaining process rather than first questions because you'll have to request that info... it wont already exist... at least don't expect an honest answer from anybody but an independant shop.

Have it checked for body work as a bargaining point, and have the alignment checked for accidents and inconsistencies. My right front tire is a little more positive in camber than ideal... within spec, but it wears the outside tire edge a little faster on that corner than the others.

I'd also want one that absolutely never had big rims on it. I wouldn't care if someone smoked in it if you can't tell... it really depends on how they smoked in it...

·
Registered
469 Posts
ewalberg,

I know the tilt is only cosmetic, but I had a Volvo wagon (also boxy) that people always commented on the tilt (which Volvo told me was within specs), but I got sick of .... "Why don't you fix it?" or "I think you're low on air on that side".

I have a '87 SL that I bought in '94. To this day, if the windows have been closed a while, it still smells like an ash tray [xx(] ... I figured it's a convertible and it would air out in a few weeks. I will never ASSume that again!!!

Body work will be tough to tell over the internet. I am hoping that the CARFAX report will tell me a lot, and I'm planning on buying from a MB Dealer (I know they are independent dealer's, but it is at least some assurance).

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was so excited last night ....

MB Chicago had listed a G55K on the MBUSA website with 14k miles on it for $82k! I called AND e-mailed them immediately ...

They called me this morning and said it was a misprint[V]

.... back to my search [:(]

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
TheDogsCar - 5/4/2005 12:02 PM

I was so excited last night ....

MB Chicago had listed a G55K on the MBUSA website with 14k miles on it for $82k! I called AND e-mailed them immediately ...

They called me this morning and said it was a misprint[V]

.... back to my search [:(]
You want the sales manager's name and #?

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
the trim packs are little round doughnut looking rubber things that go ontop of the spings up fron to make it set level. I have a set just have not found anyone willing to install them. They are lik $30.00 at the dealership. If you search you can get a partnumber. or i can look it up when i get home.

·
Registered
469 Posts
mb230s,

Thanks for the offer ...

I hoped the salesman who called me back would have said, "It was a mistake, but if you buy it today we will honor the price". Instead he told me it was supposed to be $92k, not $82k, and blamed it on MBUSA's website.

I could raise Hell, but I figure buying a used car over the phone, 800 miles away, takes trust, not force to get the best ALL AROUND deal. It's kinda like yelling at the waitress .... who knows what will happen to your food [xx(]

As more G55K's get on the market, another will come along [;)]

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
ewalberg - 5/3/2005 6:46 PM

yup me too. I'm tempted by the trim packers... but i'm lazier than i am tempted.

But i think it would be nice to know the root cause... i find it little odd they've never addressed it in 25 years, or even bothered to find the root cause for others to fix if they care.

Next question to the original poster... How is your handling affected? You may have a handling problem people can help with, you've just misdiagnosed the cause and we're responding to that instead.
Mine is 2.5cm lower on the driver's side (before I put spacers in). I also noticed that my driver's side wheel sits under the wheel-well about 1cm further than the other side.
I was under the impression that I "killed" that spring and was planning on getting new springs all of the way around.
With so many people with the same issue, does new springs actually fix the problem???

Chuck

·
Registered
1989 G230
23 Posts
I broke my drivers side rear spring and my G did this. Looked like a heavy person was always sitting on that side. Replaced my springs and not only does my G drive like a champ again it sits even.
Sean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts