Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After A few thousand miles of driving I am so impressed with this classic machine. I'm almost 6'5" in height and this car is roomy and so comfortable. It's like driving in an easy boy chair.I just hope my 20 year old 287,000 mile machine keeps on keeping on.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Oh it will keep goin thats for sure, and by the way, Honestly, ive never been in any other car in my whole life that has a softer ride than my 82 300d turbo. No joke, every other ride was harder. I love my Benz! [:eek:)]

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Ill agree with ya there. I am also about your height, and at about 300 pounds, this car is very comfortable even for a big guy like me. Ive driven newer "Luxury Sedans" (i.e. Bonnivilles, Town Cars, Devilles) and they cant hold a candle to the W123's comfort level.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Funny how you post this. I was thinking of the exact same thing this morning.

I was riding today and ran over a dip but the car just took it like a professional. No jiggle, no squeaks, no rattles. It just ran over it like it was nothing. The soft springs of the seats also helped, as well as the comfort-level shocks it still has. When turning, the car rolls alot but it feels stable and firm. It has no feeling of being nose-heavy despite the all-iron diesel engine. In fact when I turn the car just turns like there was no resistance. Maybe it's the magic of the recirculating ball-bearing steering set up, the wider front track than the rear, or the balanced front/rear weight distribution. The incresed camber/caster combination when turning also aids in cornering, giving the car that much needed lateral grip on the outer front tire.

And when you see a fellow W123 on the road making turns, it looks so fluid, so natural, unlike newer cars that are so stiff and rigid when maneuvering. The W123 just flows along, like there's no problem in the world at all. It makes you feel so confident when driving it that it brings out the best in you (and the worst in others).

Even last night, when it was pouring out, I drove it so confidently. The tires would spin once in a while but the car remained stable and firm. Its hefty weight also aids when you go over puddles of water. It just pushes water aside, and with that diesel clatter you think you're driving a luxurious tank/truck with a hood star to aim the road.

Ahh...the benefits of owning a W123...[8)]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I’m 6’ 6� tall, 277 lbs., the 123 is the first car I don’t have to push the seat ALL the way back. [:0] The broken seat springs give me plenty of headroom. I’m very comfortable in both the 123 and 126, they are both carved from a single ingot of steel and it’s like riding on a rail.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
This is the first car I have ever owned that you could adjust the height of the seat. I don't know why a lot of other cars don't have this. It is a really nice feature!

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's funny is I bought this car for my 17 year old son and he rarely gets to drive it.They don't make them like this car anymore,

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
maybe i dont get it!

my car rides VERY hard. it doesnt rattle or sway or do anything weird, but when you hit a bump, you know it!

i have to say the neon rides better and has a much better seat!

then again, im 5'8/150, the neon also fits me better! these really arent complaints, just observations. if the car just rides hard but doesnt do anything else stupid, are my shocks ok? its not floaty or anything, the back makes a clunk when you hit a bump going around a corner, i think ive narrowed that to the sway bar bushings.

sorry to hijack the thread. i like the ride the car has on the open smooth road, but in town and on bumps it really isnt too different!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Yeah when you hit a bump you know it. I've read somewhere that it's the way German cars are made. You could literally feel the road and this should enhance your driving experience because you know exactly what is going on. I actually like this...

I haven't done anything to my suspension yet but my dad complemented the car's smooth ride when we drove around especially on the freeway. He didn't feel we were already going 100 [:D]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Your car should not find every bump in the road – the suspension is taut for high-speed safety, the ride should be smooth. The chassis is very rigid and solid so there’s very little of the flex you’ll find in Japanese or American cars.

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
I cant see how a Dodge Neon could ever ride better than the 300D. Ive ridden in a 1996 or so Neon and the thing let you know with a sharp jarring and plenty of noise when you hit a bump. Cramped as all hell too. (but thats because of my size). The new generation Neons are only marginally better ride quality-wise. I would check the quality of the shocks, or type of tires on your 300D if it dosent ride well. I bought cheap, gas-charged Gabriels for a mini-van once, and they were garbage.

I wouldnt say the Mercedes rides as softly as a DeVille or Town Car, but then again, the Mercedes dosent handle like a bathtub on wheels. Plus with those boats, you dont get any steering feedback.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
afroney123 - 4/28/2005 5:39 PM

I cant see how a Dodge Neon could ever ride better than the 300D. Ive ridden in a 1996 or so Neon and the thing let you know with a sharp jarring and plenty of noise when you hit a bump. Cramped as all hell too. (but thats because of my size). The new generation Neons are only marginally better ride quality-wise. I would check the quality of the shocks, or type of tires on your 300D if it dosent ride well. I bought cheap, gas-charged Gabriels for a mini-van once, and they were garbage.

I wouldnt say the Mercedes rides as softly as a DeVille or Town Car, but then again, the Mercedes dosent handle like a bathtub on wheels. Plus with those boats, you dont get any steering feedback.

Just my 2 cents
My thinking also.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I forgot to add, it's not supposed to be a jarring kind of feeling when you go over stuff. You'll feel them, but it's not jarring. It's muffled in some sort so you can at least get a good gauge of how the car is doing.

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some of the comments are interesting, maybe my shocks and seats are softer but compared to my saturn it rides on air...

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
i love driving home after jarring my bones in any of the trucks i drive at work, my favorite is an Isuzu where the front seat is in front of the front axle... super-manuverable, but you drive over railroad tracks too fast and you'll get a lump on your head bashing into the ceiling... the difference between them and the benz is enormous... i prefer the ride to any other i have driven to date :>

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
I have never had a car this size ride so well. Most mid-size cars have an okay ride, but this thing is great. I am scratching my head though, about the comment comparing this classic to a neon. But hey, to each his own... The last car that I had that rode this well was a 1976 Cadillac Sedan de Ville. Now that was a boat. It just floated over railroad tracks, just like my benz. But the steering on the benz has a better "feel" then the caddy. To me, it has a sport feeling, kind of touchie but very forgiving (if that makes sense). The only car I can compare it to was my Peugeot 505 STI. The only real differance (again, IMHO) is the 505 was gas powered so it was faster (plus it had a 5 speed manual which was fun), but on the highway you could not tell the difference.
I think that is what really impresses me about this car. It has that old world style, that is timeless, but the handling and ride of a new vehicle, that people do not expect an old vehicle to have.
The best of both worlds, new and old, with a durability that most people cannot believe.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
lancer - 4/29/2005 9:36 PM

But the steering on the benz has a better "feel" then the caddy. To me, it has a sport feeling, kind of touchie but very forgiving (if that makes sense).
Especially when cornering and you turn the steering wheel around 160 degrees the car just turns with no sensation of front heft, sometimes even flat and with minimal roll if the road is right, and does not snap back. Rather, it to the hoodstar and you just pull ahead. I would agree on the sport feeling & kinda touchy but very forgiving. I would think the similar BMW model would really give you a good feel of the road, and if this is the case then the W123 is somewhat muffled so you can feel some comfort in it as well.

I wonder how those HDs would feel...

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
karugs - 4/28/2005 6:50 PM

I forgot to add, it's not supposed to be a jarring kind of feeling when you go over stuff. You'll feel them, but it's not jarring. It's muffled in some sort so you can at least get a good gauge of how the car is doing.
That’s exactly it – very good description – you can drive these cars for hours over all kinds of road surfaces and be aware of what the car is doing but not become fatigued.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts