Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
00 ML320; 93 300E
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum so please pardon me if someone has already answered. I have a 2000 ml320 with 68k and this morning when my wife went to start it the battery was dead. I jumped the car and it started fine... the problem that happened next was that the car would not move? When placed in reverse, the gear engages but the engine will not rev up when I press on the gas peddle. When I put the car back in park in idles up and down by itself. My ESP/BAS light is on as well. I plugged my OBDII computer and found no error codes. Any ideas?

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
sosh - 2/27/2005 9:08 PM

Might be because you can't spell "pedal"
That was pretty messed up man ...

Try resseting your computer by detaching the ground wire on your battery overnight. Then connect it in the morning and try again. That's what I would do first. If the problem still persists, I would give your local dealer a call. Sorry I couldnt give you a more deffinitive answer on what the problem is.

·
Registered
00 ML320; 93 300E
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I removed the battery all together to charge it. Hope this works.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
So you get no response when you hit the gas? It doesn’t even rev? Could be a computer problem. My car at one time would rev, but when I put it into drive or any gear it would not move but just rev. If yours is like that it is more then likely a transmission computer problem.

Also.

Try what MlOffRoad said. Not sure that will help. 100,000+ moving parts, anything could be wrong. If removing the - side of the bat fixes it, I would still get the ML checked out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
00 ML320; 93 300E
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No response at all when I step on the gas. My initial thought was the throttle position sensor since the OBDII readed did not record any change when I step on the gas, but like you said there are so many parts between that sensor and the OBD output that I am not in a rush to replace it.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Just to check other things. have you tried putting it into low gear? I would try everything just to try to get it to work, to get it to your local shop.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
Disconnect Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, start the truck, and try revving. Tells us if you notice any difference.

·
Registered
00 ML320; 93 300E
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried disconnection the MAS and no difference... however when the tow truck was here earlier the problem fixed itself when the truck was on an angle. This led me to believe it was a fluid problem. The only fluid I could not check was transmission since my car did not have a dipstick. So I went to the dealer, purchase the transmission dipstick ($125!!!) and filled two quarts. Problem went away until I restarted the car... I am back to square one.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
eran13 - 2/28/2005 1:50 PM

Tried disconnection the MAS and no difference... however when the tow truck was here earlier the problem fixed itself when the truck was on an angle. This led me to believe it was a fluid problem. The only fluid I could not check was transmission since my car did not have a dipstick. So I went to the dealer, purchase the transmission dipstick ($125!!!) and filled two quarts. Problem went away until I restarted the car... I am back to square one.
I would just leave it at the dealership and have them take care of it ...

It will save you from buying unneccesary items like the dipstick ...

·
Registered
00 ML320; 93 300E
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the problem is fixed... apparently there is a known problem with the ml series that when the battery is removed the cars computer "forgets" about the throttle position switch. My dealer said that this is an embracing problem for them. With a simple upload of the correct parameters with their HHT, the car is back up and running.

Thank you all for your advice and assistance.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Good to hear your up and running again ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well the problem is fixed... apparently there is a known problem with the ml series that when the battery is removed the cars computer "forgets" about the throttle position switch. My dealer said that this is an embracing problem for them. With a simple upload of the correct parameters with their HHT, the car is back up and running.

Thank you all for your advice and assistance.
Thats really been help full,but please whats HHT

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,667 Posts
It was an older scan tool at MB dealerships meaning Hand Held Tester.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts