Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our ML320 does not do anything when turning the key...Radio, and lights are fine. Tried to jump start...still nothing

Here is some backgound to the problem:
When my wife bought it 4 months ago, she had this problem. Would not start for days, then all of a sudden, it worked fine. Worked 100% since...until now.

Recently I had the ml at the dealership for an engine code, and was told I needed sparkplugs & wires. The car sat for a few weeks in the cold. (0 F). I had to jump start the car with a booster kit, and it ran fine. Tried to back it into the garage, and it seemed to be locked out of reverse (after being in reverse a few times), so I shut it off, leaving it in the drive way....and had it on the battery charger over night. Tried to start today, and again the problem. All electrical works, but nothing when you turn the key. No clicking or cranking of the motor.

I am lost!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Phil

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
How old is the battery??? it may be time to replace it. There may be enough juice to power the lights but not enough to start the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery is not old at all...maybe 2 months at the most. I will have to try the key tomorrow. Any other suggestions???

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The truck would still start even with a bad key. With a bad key, the truck will start and within couple of seconds, it will die. Ask me how I know. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Never the less check the battery, battery terminal connections, alternator and its connections. I would start with the battery and see whether it is in a fully charged state even though you say its only 2 months old.

·
Premium Member
16,756 Posts
Practically every new member does not fully complete the registration form by including the year and model of their vehicle. Please click on USER CP to the left, then click on EDIT PROFILE, scroll down to ADDITIONAL INFORMATION and insert the year and model of your truck.

You will have to check the starter relay and the circuit 15 relay. If you have a 98-99 then the starter relay is #K8 and circuit 15 is #K12 in the underhood fuse/relay box. If you have a 2000 & above the starter relay is #K8 in the underhood fuse/relay box but the circuit 15 relay is #K9 in the right side kick panel fuse/relay box.

SWITCH THE RELAYS WITH SIMILAR LOOKING & COLORED RELAYS. JUST REMEMBER WHICH ONES YOU SWITCHED.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Battery is not old at all...maybe 2 months at the most. I will have to try the key tomorrow. Any other suggestions???
Thanks,
Phil
2 month-old battery is NOT guaranteed to be in working condition. In other words, new battery can be bad also.

For example: My original MB battery lasted for 9 years. The second battery (interstate) lasted for 1 year.

If I were you, I would take the battery to PepBoys or any other auto parts store and have them test the battery with 'load tester'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will update my profile tonight, as I am on a hurry out the door...
Thanks for the idea to switch out relays...I checked the battery, no corrosion, connectors on tight. Checked the altinator, cables on tight.

I hope it is something as simple as a relay. I will give that a try after work.
Thanks!

·
Registered
675 Posts
This is a long shot and I think posted this before... I had a 70's 300TD and the same thing happened constantly to this car... the solution was to use a hammer or a heavy stick and bang against the starter motor... worked every time... but I rather think it's something electronic on the ML then mechanical... at least worth a try..

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I guess this problem can be caused by multiple reasons.. I had a similar case with my ML and the dealer could not find any problem until finally they found the problem.

In my case, from time to time my ML will not crank for several tries, and these times will get longer as time passed. When I turned the key, there will not be even a click when I tried to start it with the key.

Even more, the lights on the dashboard will not even dim whatsoever.

At the end, it ended up being a starter wire that was loose. Since then, it never had the start problem again.

You need to make a load test on your battery to make sure your battery can deliver power to the starter. Second, if your dashboard does not dim whatsoever when you try to crank it, that means there is no power transfered to the starter, which may indicate a loose starter wire or some problem with the starter. Otherwise if there was a load caused by the starter, then your dashboard lights will dim somewhat..

Good luck..

AC

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can see this post has been around a while but i am not sure if it has been resolved but i think i know what's wrong same thing happened to my 86 300E it was the nutreal saftey switch
nothing happens when you try to start

trying putting it in nutreal and see if it starts if it does its the switch

Pat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has since "magically" started working.
This would make sence because once before when this happened, I played with the shifter and it started working. Now just this most recent time I could not shift into reverse just before the problem started.

WHere is the neutral safety switch? -IN- the transmission?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am not sure wher it is but i think it is near the shifter I am sure someone one with more knoledge can hrlp you out

·
Premium Member
16,756 Posts
Correct, under the console at the shifter. But the problem could also lie down at the transmission where the shifter rod is attached. The bushing could be worn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts