Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some call it fleabay, but I figure I hit the lotto (this time). Last year I bought a fuel distributor - $114 shipped. Description read something about being "taken off a wreck... newest looking part under the hood..." bla bla. Then after buying it, I see the seller listing another one - same description - same photo, so I figure crap & put it in the closet :(

Now my $2K SECs in the shop - the chain related stuff, tie-rods & vacuum gremlins got tackled in car's 1st visit, to the tune of $1550 total, but it's idled poorly & had 'knock' from day of purchase - so I've hardly driven it. Sounded more than just 'ticking', as some have described after 200K mi., but cams were reported to look fine.

When I dropped the car off, in the trunk was:
  • new Bosch Fuel injectors ($209)
  • NOS W9DC Bosch spark plugs
  • Kingsbourne ignition wire set ($99 +ship)
  • new idle air/speed control valve ($145)
  • used SLS system (struts, pump, valve) with new accumulators (off-brand) from board member ($200 +ship)
  • 2 gallons Hydraulic fluid
So far, parts total @ $750. I call (Indy) yesterday to say I was dropping off a pair of front Bilstein HD's ($137 shipped). The knock is GONE, and he say's yeah, but there's still a miss & 1 cyl's down... could be the fuel distributor - TA-DA... time to raid the closet & burn an hour of Ray's labor to see whether that ebay FD was any good.

Called today & learned the EHA that came with the ebay unit was no good - spraying gas till he went back to old one. But verdict is that the FD solved 75% of the remaining issues, although still on the rich-side and a potential issue come inspection time. He too noticed that the fuel pumps are getting loud, I ordered 2 new Bosch today (ebay) for $194.75 a pair, but those must wait to go on until next visit.

Get the car back next week & by that time perhaps I'll be able to get the (used-ebay) Pole Position's ($309 shipped) road-force mounted on the AMG Hammer's ($600) I found here on the board, with hopefully enuff $$'s left to get an alignment... then I drive it to Ft. Drum in upstate NY to visit my son before he deploys to Iraq.

We'll see how the trip goes, cuz the tranny's next in-line, but I wanted to document this as part of the "nothing as expensive as a cheap Mercedes" theorem. On a budget, I've bided time and shopped as carefully as I could, while saving up to afford to get the work done. Short of doing these fixes myself, I don't see how all this could have been accomplished much cheaper. But I place value in the confidence inspired by having it performed by a certified Mercedes master mechanic - as opposed to me messing around, plus the fact I can still order everything myself? - Priceless !!

Still, after I pay his next tab, I expect to be slightly over $7K into this car - with the tranny & other stuff still to be addressed. Obviously resale is not a factor - I sell - I'd lose, & the theorem remains firmly intact. Instead I lay all this down as a marker in time, and for other 560 neophytes - to determine how feasible it is to hold and win ? When I reach $10K, I would hope to be done for awhile, except for the looks department. But should I manage to get 100K miles for that spend - to me it will prove an automotive bargain, especially considering the joy of the ride.

Hell, I've had new cars depreciate nearly that amount - just driving 'em off the lot. :D

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,602 Posts
Yep, while some may think it is expensive to maintain these cars - that just helps prove, that with good maintenance, whilst parts may be a bit more costly, when upkeep is continued, the return on spend is not that bad in comparison to newer cars.

Great story - thanks.

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Lifters unscrewed

Thanks for the acknowledgment. The part of the story I forgot to log for posterity, was the source of the knock/tick. Indy tore into it to find the source and found a lifter had worked loose - completely unscrewed. He said WOT! and checked the other side... sure enuff there were 2 more like that :confused:

He reported there wasn't scoring or damage (neither I or the PO had driven it much) but it seemed to be one for the 'books'. He said he'd never seen that happen & I'd never read about it on here. But doing a more concise search turned-up a similar situation reported by a 450SLC owner - with only ONE lifter.

So I've dodged a valve job for the time being, and when I get the car back & put the new 'shoes' on, I expect it shall sound/handle/perform like it hasn't done in years. But the proof of the puddin's in the tasting :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts