Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The attachments for the bladder are mirror images, and it cannot expand correctly if mounted on the opposite side. The attachment prevents it from expanding properly. Believe me, I tried to make it work. I gave up, and used the W220 bladders. I've used them on two cars now.

Jon

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
468 Posts
I believe you :))
But, you made the smaller w220 bladders work, and the fit is far from trivial. If you have a picture or two, that would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
These will make more sense when you have the W220 bladders. The next post has the W220 bladders as you get them.

Jon

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
W220 bladders. I couldn't figure out how to mount them with their own backings.
Edit: oops, the last one is a completed conversion.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Jon

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,643 Posts
I went a little different route. I’m hesitant to use OE Mercedes replacement parts for this as it’s obviously made of another seemingly biodegradable material.
Instead, I found that the BMW E38 (7series) uses a very similar system, but made of a much better material. Those bladders also come in different sizes in the seat back. To prove that they are made of better vinyl, is I’ve yet to see one busted or deteriorated. However ALL MBs have broken bladders in the junkyard including the later generation W220.
As for the side support I had to fold one of the smallest bladders in half and tape it to make it fit. My repair has been in use for three years now.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Edit: oops, the last one is a completed conversion.
Many thanks, again. It appears you reposted the pictures from your original write-up in post #1. I was curious if you have any pictures showing the "wrong" side bladders.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Instead, I found that the BMW E38 (7series) uses a very similar system, but made of a much better material. Those bladders also come in different sizes in the seat back. To prove that they are made of better vinyl, is I’ve yet to see one busted or deteriorated.
Pictures please, or at least part numbers from BMW. Or, it never happened :))

·
Registered
468 Posts
No, I don't. Sorry
No problem, you've been very helpful and I use the opportunity to say "BIG THANKS" for taking the time to post your method.

One last question, if I may - did you notice a difference in the side bladders of your friends 600SEC that you worked on compared to the 1994 and 1995. IIRC, that 600SEC had a built date March or April 1993.

I am asking because my side bladders do NOT have the strips that you show in your pictures. They are somewhat kidney-shaped, like yours, but were affixed to the white plastic support bracket with 4 plastic push-pins (2 on each side).
I said earlier that someone may have been there before me, but now that I have everything apart, I am reasonably certain that I am the the first person to see the inside of the seat since it left the factory in October 1992.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The elastic strips are part of the W220 bladders. I use a part of them to hold the bladder to the W140 plastic backing and cut the rest off. They have a series of slits in the elastic to adjust them during manufacturing. I drilled holes in the W140 plastic, and used the old plastic retainers to hold the W220 bladder in place with the elastic and tabs on the bladder.

The new W140 bladders on the backing are identical to the old ones, with a minor mod to the plastic mounting to the seat shell.

Jon

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,643 Posts
I don’t have any pics at the moment, I’ll try to take some in the future. All my bladders were from the junkyard, so no clue on part numbers. It was meant to be a temporary repair, that has been lasting longer than expected.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Apologies, it is me again with yet another question for those that have successfully done it.

I knew it that it will not be simple. Retrofitting the bladders from a w220 was not easy but I think I did it. My problem now is I cannot put the seat back together in the same order it came out.

Would anyone be able to recognize this piece?

It fell off during the teardown stage and I cannot find where it belongs to - I am guessing the headrest mechanism?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I've done 3 pairs of seats, but that part is new to me. You sure it came from the seat?

Jon

·
Registered
468 Posts
You sure it came from the seat?
Must have come from it.
I followed the advise to remove the whole seat and work outside the car.
Brought it inside the house in a room that is mostly empty. Disassembly and all subsequent work took place in the same room.

I realized it should have put a ruler (or at least a penny) next to it when I took the photograph. The part is small, about 3/4"

·
Registered
468 Posts
I know, I am very slow, but this is my first time ever taking a seat apart. Been struggling a lot - if you are a noob like me, be warned - it is not a simple as it looks in the original post.

I have a question for those that have done the job. There are three plastic hooks high up, that secure the backrest cushion to to frame. They look like this:

Now, when one is trying to tie them up to the seat, there is a big problem - the one in the middle is accessible, but the other two are obscured. I hope this image shows the problem:

How did you do it?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Push everything forward until you can see it, then use a hooked tool the pull the wire over the plastic hook.

Jon

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Push the cushion material and springs forward.

Jon

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You have to look from the side. Push against the glued horsehair padding, under the metal bar and the white felt strip underneath the metal bar. The plastic retainer and upholstery will give enough that you can see and unhook the plastic retainer from the metal rod in the upholstery. It's really not that difficult.

Jon

21 - 40 of 50 Posts