Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Orthopedic seats came in US spec S600s, and were optional on other models and in other countries. Unlike the standard seats which use a single lumbar bladder, Orthopedic seats use 4 for the lumbar area, as well as one on each side of the seat for side support.

Orthopedic lumbar seat bladders for the Coupes are unavailable from Mercedes. However, as of a month ago, bladder assemblies are available for sedans. The two bladder assemblies are virtually identical, except the black sleeving over the air lines on the sedan bladder is longer than on the coupes bladders. You can see this in the first picture. You need to shorten the sleeve in order for the air line for the seat back release to be able to exit the bundle. You have to put that line in the bundle yourself, but it is easy.

The side support bladders, or at least one side of them, are unavailable. They are the same part number between coupes and sedans. I modified W220 bladders to fit. They are slightly smaller, but work ok. You reuse the plastic mounts and plastic rivets from your old bladders, and modify them by drilling a couple of new holes to mount the W220 bladders. I'm including several pictures to try to illustrate what to do. It's not hard, but you need to be careful to make sure everything lines up correctly.

In addition, the nipples in the lines at the new air connector on the new bladder assembly are manufactured incorrectly. First, the corrugated plastic tubing as shown in the pictures is a loose fit on the lines, so it will constantly leak. Second, the plastic lines inside the corrugated tubes are too long to mate with the air control switch. Open your old connector that hold the 6 air lines, and remove the rubber pieces that seal to the switch. Clean out the old tubing from them, and use them instead of the corrugated plastic tubes in the connectors. In addition, shorten each air line in the connector as shown in the last picture.

The seat needs to be removed from the car to do the job. There is just too much stuff in the way to remove the old bladders and put in the new, unlike the single bladder lumbar supports of the standard seat. There is also no way to get to the side bladders without removing the upholstery. You have to remove the rear cover, and the upholstery over the seat back. There is enough slack in the seat heater cable in the backrest to get the upholstery off. It's not hard to get the seat back upholstery off, and there are other threads here on the subject.

Jon

·
Registered
1999 S600 98K miles, 1994 E320 Cabriolet 13K, 2012 GLK 24K
251 Posts
I had no problems replacing the bladders in my 1999 S600 from the back. I took off the back of seat panel and put some small wood blocks between spring and upholstery to create some space and leaving the felt mounting card in place I carefully pushed out the rivets for each bladder so I could pull the old ones out carefully one at a time. I then reinstalled each new bladder in the same Original position -it is easy to route the lines back to the seat switch and using the old rubber couplers from your original lines. My side bladders were ok so left those. Yes it took a couple hours per side and my knuckles were a bit scraped up from the rough padding but they work great and enjoyed having the working on my 4000 mile round trip last month. Take some pictures and replace in the right order one at a time with patience.

·
Registered
96 sl600,97 s420(gone) 96 CL600
658 Posts
Thanks for the writeup. I have some IV bags lying around to do this-suggested by another poster. How heavy are the seats-tempted to remove mine to do the job.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seats are quite heavy. Put a towel over the door threshold to protect it. Don't disconnect the seat power until last as you need it to get to bolts on the rails. I recommend removing the outer panel with the air control in it before removing the seat to prevent damage. Side the seat cushion forward (not the whole seat) to get to the screw at the back that holds the side panel on.
Also take off the headrests to reduce weight and more clearance to get out of the door opening. Run them to the top, tilt the backrest back, and feel for the hidden release button on the back of the seat. Push to release.

Leave the seat height at a mid height. Will make things easier once out of the car

I'm not sure how well iv bags will work for ortho seats. They are probably ok for single bladder seats, but ortho seats have 4 bladders of varying sizes. Let us know how well they work.

It is common for the plastic trim around the seat rails to be broken. All four were broken on the car I'm working on now. You'll end up painting new ones as they are only available in various colors. I got 3 black and 1 parchment. All got painted gray. To install them, wait till the seat is resting in the car, then tilt one side up, then the other. Very easy to break them.

Jon

·
Registered
96 sl600,97 s420(gone) 96 CL600
658 Posts
Thanks again. I have a big box of various size IV bags, large ones for the lumbar and smaller ones for the side bolsters etc.
I'd buy new bladders but they're the same degradeable stuff, no?

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
973 Posts
Drivers seat seems to blow up and sometimes work, sometimes not. Could it be the pump or the air switch at the seat?

Passenger and the two rear seats (I have 4 place seating) all work fine.

Do you have the P/Ns handy in case I need to order?

Is bladder replacement something a reputable automotive upholstery shop could handle?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the passenger seat works ok, it's not the pump. Check the valve and the lines at 5he valve for leaks. You can also use a hand pump, and check individual bladders for leaks. The Black line is air from the pump, clear is the line to the two side bladders. The other colors are individual bladders.
An upholstery shop could do it, but you'll do a better job if you are at all handy. You'll pay attention to things they won't.

Jon

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,660 Posts
Nice Info Jal .
I replaced all the Multi Contour Bladders on mine .
In case someone needs them but cant find them ,Alternative is : just go into a Hospital & look for Antibiotic Bags ,they function just the same & are 3 times as strong .
Usually found hanging on a Rack near a bed or operating room ,best to go at night .
Where is that Nurse Girlfriend when you need one .

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice Info Jal .
I replaced all the Multi Contour Bladders on mine .
In case someone needs them but cant find them ,Alternative is : just go into a Hospital & look for Antibiotic Bags ,they function just the same & are 3 times as strong .
Usually found hanging on a Rack near a bed or operating room ,best to go at night .
Where is that Nurse Girlfriend when you need one .
Do you have any pictures of how you did it? I'd like to see how you mounted them.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
973 Posts
If the passenger seat works ok, it's not the pump. Check the valve and the lines at 5he valve for leaks. You can also use a hand pump, and check individual bladders for leaks. The Black line is air from the pump, clear is the line to the two side bladders. The other colors are individual bladders.
An upholstery shop could do it, but you'll do a better job if you are at all handy. You'll pay attention to things they won't.

Jon
Good point about me doing it, but it is my daily driver so I can't be without it, unless I use the wife's car or get a rental.
I remember that the shop replaced my seat skin on my S500 and when I got it back the head rest was not working. They had broken the mechanism.

I will check the valve and connections to see if the problem is simpler than I think.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW, the headrest mechanisms are delicate and break easily, especially when they get old and brittle. Getting the headrests out puts additional stress on the mechanism. There is a simple DIY repair procedure on V12uberalles.org. I've used it on my two coupes.

Jon

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,660 Posts
Do you have any pictures of how you did it? I'd like to see how you mounted them.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk
Which bladders you need pics of ? . On my current 600 ,i used the original multi contour once while on Shorty (600 SE swb) , i installed the Antibacteria bags ,same as Antibiotic bag just had more Nipples (lol) . Maybe thats why this Virus has spread so quickly as it got Airborne in the Merc ,lol.

YOU FIND pictures in this Thread ,look for my reply.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking for pictures of multiple antibiotic bladders installed in an orthopedic/multicontour seat. Have you done that?

Jon

·
W140 Moderator
7,660 Posts
Yes but never took any pictures of it as it is a simple install , the only difference is at the side seat control wheel , 3 airhose against just the 1 for normal single bladder .
The side bolster bladders get joint with a joiner from one side to the other to 1 line at the side seat wheel . Fairly simple .
I take pics next time i check it in that section . Sorry Jal.

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
468 Posts
The seat needs to be removed from the car to do the job. There is just too much stuff in the way to remove the old bladders and put in the new, unlike the single bladder lumbar supports of the standard seat. There is also no way to get to the side bladders without removing the upholstery. You have to remove the rear cover, and the upholstery over the seat back. There is enough slack in the seat heater cable in the backrest to get the upholstery off. It's not hard to get the seat back upholstery off, and there are other threads here on the subject.
I follow your footsteps. Determined that there was a leak somewhere in the pass. side seat, and after months of research, finally bit the bullet. The whole seat is out of the car now.
Question:
- did you separate the seat backrest from the bottom, and if so, how?

I found old posts by Mr. Axelsson that suggest it is best to work on the bench.

From this thread:

Others have indicated that that's not required (post #2 here for example), and your post #1 makes me think that your approach may have been "in between". In other words, you removed the leather covers and the rest of the upholstery, did what you have described, WITHOUT separating top and bottom parts of the seat assembly.

Also, if I may, how did you deal with the coupe specific button on the side of the backrest when you were pulling the leather covers off?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You pull off the leather and backing as a unit, leaving the back mechanism and springs attached to the seat bottom.

For the button, pull off the rubber cover. Then the plastic underneath just snaps out.

The grommets for the headrest come out with the seat leather and padding. You don't have to detach them.

You have to release several clips on the back of the springs to release the leather and padding. Remove the stiff rubber block at the bottom of the seat back opening to make life easier, especially removing the strips that hold the bottom and sides of the leather in place. The cardboard strips sewn into the edging deform easily, so try to keep them intact and straight. If you don't, it makes putting things back together a whole lot harder.

Take lots of pictures with your phone as you go to make sure you know the orientation of everything, and where all the clips go. And the learning curve will make the 2nd seat a whole lot easier!

Jon

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Seat is now in pieces and I am looking at the bladders. I think the (inner) side is where my problem was. Surprisingly, the unique to the S600 coupes multi-bag center is in decent condition. Not sure why, perhaps it was replaced in the past?

·
Registered
468 Posts
The side support bladders, or at least one side of them, are unavailable. They are the same part number between coupes and sedans.
I am sorry for asking this many questions. I have EPC but cannot find the p/n's for the side support. Are these correct:
  • 140 910 09 75
  • 140 910 10 75
I looked up the numbers and they come as "seat adapters", is that what MB has named them?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Numbers are correct. Last I tried, only one side was available. You might try the classic center. Unfortunately, the bladders on each side are different. I tried using one side bladder on the other side backing, and it doesn't work. I adapted W220 side bolster bladders to the W140 backings. They work ok, but they aren't quite as big.

Be sure to check each bladder in the lumbar area for holding pressure. Take the lines out of the bladder adjuster and use a hand pump. Yours have turned dark like they are getting old and brittle.

Jon

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks again, very helpful information.
My research shows that as of today, 09 75 is discontinued. 10 75 (lateral inside left ) comes up, but I haven't tried to order it - the dealer may respond with NLA...

Can you share with us your experience trying the left side to the right? They are mirror images and the holes that are on the plastic support bracket will be "in the wrong places" if the bag is flipped and mounted there, but a few zip ties might fix that.
What is it that I am missing?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts