Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
06' GTO, 04' R1 220HP, 98 ML 320, 03 Range Rover, 05 kx250
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
It took me a few years to finally get an account up and running but here I am...just wanted to thank you for all of advice and knowledge I have leeched. But on to my problem. I have the 3.2 liter V6 ml. It has approx. 68,000 miles on it and has had mobil 1 since day one. I have always had it serviced by the dealer (starmark warranty) and have had the occasional problems (transmission, recalls, etc.) but a new sound has recently appeared. A loud ticking sound on the driver side of the engine that follows engine RPM. It does not stop and is very noticeable. I recently had a B service done (of which they did a harmonic balancer recall and cracked the shroud then put electrical tape on it and tried to convince me that they didn't do it) but we won't get into that. I went to the dealer today to request my service documentation and they stated "we will have it for you by wed. as we have to delete our account information and we are very busy". This is mercedes benz of hartford, ct. They are a huge dealership and they have tried to screw me over on many different things (ask and ill ellaborate) but eventually I ended up with an 03 rover. I still have the ml as it was my first vehicle and it will always have a place in my garage. It is my belief that during the b-service they accidentally ran regular oil instead of synthetic and are now trying to cover their tracks by reviewing my service record (possibly editing) before giving me a copy. Any ideas as to my problem with the engine or insight as to the way mercedes deals with customers?? Is it common to see this type of mis-leading behavior??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Correction-----it is the PASSENGER side where the engine noise is coming from. (Still had a previous post on my brain when I was forming my own [:I] If i had to guess i would say cat or lifter.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Could be an exhaust leak and/or a sticky lifter. Easy to tell if you have Synthetic or reg oil. Pull the stick and look/feel. If you can't tell have someone that knows have a look see.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whats funny about lifters was I thought that newer motors mainly were overhead cams....wouldn't that mean that there are no lifters?? just a thought..also i did check the oil but every 4-800 miles it burns about a quart and i was just in maine from ct. so it definitley has synthetic in it now. Any tips on how to deal with my con-artist dealer?? I swear they are corrupt.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Best thing to do is send your documents to the BBB for review and they will start talking. Hard to prove the oil thing. [8D] Did they change the pullies too along with the harmonic balancer?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that where it becomes sketchy. I don't know exactly what was performed because my office is a mess and no one seems to be able to find anything here (audit). Thats why I went down there personally to figure out the problem. Truthfully I think that they think they can screw me over because im young...they talk down to me...its kind of rediculous. But it was funny because after the b service I opened the hood to check the fluids and make sure everything was cool and *BAM* 6" piece of electrical tap across the radiator shroud. I went to dealer and pointed out about a week later. He was like "you don't think we are going to replace this, do you? (No i did it..and am blaming it on you, if they just left it cracked I probably wouldn't have noticed) We didn't work on anything related to your shroud." he even had the mechanic come out and tell me he didn't do it.BS So i said lets go look on the computer. I made sure to look right over his shoulder and sure as s*** he tried to skip by a harmonic balancer replacement warranty item in hopes of me not noticing. What a grimey way to run a business, sure enough they scheduled an appointment and I had it replaced with no charge they didn't apologize though. Its a shame for them too because I was in the market for a new amg slk and they really left a sour taste in my mouth with that last little endeavor. When/if I get the service history I will let you know about the pullies.
thanks[^]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that how it works???? I thought they were particular to the dealer that does the work.
I already am switching to northhaven dealer. Btw in a unrelated topic....I was just in manhattan this weekend every time i go it gets a little harder to leave [:)]

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,632 Posts
You have a bad service department and get away from them.

It's not unusual to have some try to screw you and others try to comfort you. How's the Rover, BTW???

Anyway, regarding your ticking peoblem, any ticking that's not over after a few seconds is not normal. If the ticking persists, and especially if it roves with RPM, there's a problem and the truck has to be looked at - at another dealer. Could you please try to explain what the noise sounds like and how long it lasts, RPM dependent or not, etc, etc??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before i bought my new rover i bought a used one to check em out. I was very impressed......aside from a few kinks worked out they are very comfortable sporty machines Bmw 4.4 though [}:)] im a poser i know. But anyways the sound does get worse with more rpms and will remain until the motor is cut. It doesn't leak a drop of oil but definitley eats it. But other then that we have got a lot of rain today and i have class tommorow but wed. im going to get my paperwork and a wooden dowel and we'll have to see from there. thanks darkman

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
i have a pretty nasty tick too. dealer won't do anything saying its normal. i even suggested lifters.. they said 'if it doesnt tap, that means there is a significant problem with the oil sludging. what you hear is normal.'

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is ur tick 100% of motor operation time? The injectors make a nice ticking sound that bothered me when i first purchased the vehicle but the dealer took me to a few different mls and they all sounded the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts