Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 98 c280, and the few times I first drove it, the car was fine. However, lately, it's been not starting the first time I turn over the key fob. It just turns on all the lights. On my second try it always starts.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Any one else had this issue?

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Are you saying that upon turning the key the engine DOES NOT crank?

IF so, are these NO CRANK episodes dependent upon engine temperature?

i.e. Is the no crank most prevalent when the engine is warm/hot?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like it almost tries to start but just doesn't. The second try it always starts up perfectly. The engine temperature has had no effect on it, the car does it sporadically. Sometimes when I've turned it off minutes ago, or in the morning when I haven't driven it for quite a few hours. Other times it starts as if it's never had any issues.

I've tried to get a few of my buddy's opinions on it, but everytime they go to start it, it fires up perfect. Naturally, right?

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
...I've tried to get a few of my buddy's opinions on it, but everytime they go to start it, it fires up perfect. Naturally, right?
I know exactly how you mean; typical of cars.:D

I'm not an expert in this area but what of your fuel presssure?

It may also be worthwhile checking that your fuel filter and fuel pump are working correctly.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
Lock cylinder/infared ignition mechanism is wearing or worn, there is probably some slop and will engage sometimes or not as you mentioned. B

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I will definitely look into that. Mechanically, the car is solid, or so says the Benz dealers. So hopefully this will solve the problem.

·
Registered
1996 C280
151 Posts
I recently bought a 98 c280, and the few times I first drove it, the car was fine. However, lately, it's been not starting the first time I turn over the key fob. It just turns on all the lights. On my second try it always starts.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Any one else had this issue?
My 96' C280 does this occaisonally. It seems like when it happens I feel like I didn't turn the key long enough. It ALWAYS works on the second crank. Maybe we are just not cranking long enough on first try. It's not like it turn the key and hold it, I just turn it and let go. Maybe that's the problem.

·
Registered
2000 c230 Kompressor (Totalled 5/2012)
238 Posts
look into checking the fuel pressure. If the car doesn't have sufficient fuel and the engine isn't primed, then you might have problems starting the car here and there. Try turning the key to the second position, without trying to start it. Then turn the car off and then try to start it. If the car always starts this way, then there's a good chance that you have a fuel-related issue. The procedure above allows the fuel pump to turn on and prime the system.

Also, once you turn the key to the start position, you shouldn't have to hold it because the system will take over and keep trying to crank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll definitely try what you've suggested about testing to see if it's the fuel pressure. But it's good to hear someone else is having the same problem, as terrible as that sounds. And I do the same thing, I feel like I don't turn it over long enough, however, it shouldn't have to be cranked long at all.

Now I'm having issues with the car almost over heating and the coolant level light turning on randomly for a couple seconds, so this ignition is the least of my worries.. for now.

·
Registered
2000 c230 Kompressor (Totalled 5/2012)
238 Posts
I'll definitely try what you've suggested about testing to see if it's the fuel pressure. But it's good to hear someone else is having the same problem, as terrible as that sounds. And I do the same thing, I feel like I don't turn it over long enough, however, it shouldn't have to be cranked long at all.

Now I'm having issues with the car almost over heating and the coolant level light turning on randomly for a couple seconds, so this ignition is the least of my worries.. for now.
check the coolant temperature sensor. At this point, I'd just have your car scanned for any codes and replace what you need to before any damage is caused.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts