Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300ce, 1993 Mercedes 190e, 2003 Oldsmobile Alero, 2002 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax,
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got done replacing head gasket on my 1993 2.3.

It now will not run for more than a second.

It will start and idle than die out.

When I put the cam chain back on I had it marked in relation to cam sprocket. I asccidentally smeared the marker top the point of not being able to see it on the cam chain.

I guessed and I think I got it fairly close.

Can you tell me if this is a symptom of off/bad cam timing? Or do I have another problem?

Here is a link to a youtube video I made.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
what if you keep starting while it cranks?
will it stay running or will it die, only to recrank again at the same time?

if it restarts again on the same time, it sounds like 2 cylinders fire and the next 2 dont. make sure you are getting spark to all 4 cylinders and then check if you are getting fuel. If you are getting both to all 4 cylinders, you have a timing or a vaccum problem.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.3 SOLD, 91 420SEL, 95 C280
488 Posts
My first recommendation is to fully charge your battery. Then I think you have a fuel delivery issue, did you do anything with the injectors etc while you were doing the HG? Could also be vacuum related but to me it doesn't seem to stay running long enough for that, it appears to only be firing from the cold start valve.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300ce, 1993 Mercedes 190e, 2003 Oldsmobile Alero, 2002 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax,
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fixed, well sorta

It ended up being I had two wires switched.

I switched the wire that goes to the idle control valve and fuel distributor.

It is running great at anything over an idle, it idles weak and will die when in traffice/stopped.

I read the check engine light codes and this is what I got:

Terminal 3; I had 4,5,9 blinks
Terminal 6; I had 3,8 blinks
Terminal 7; I had 13 blinks

I have the eight terminal block.

Can anyone make anything of this?

Thanks,
Ryan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts