Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CLK-55
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my CLK-55 about 2-3 weeks ago. Everything seemed fine, then a few days ago, I got ESP malfunction and BAS malfunction warnings. I didn't think too much of it...they didn't come back. Some time after, I got an oil warning that the level was too high. ...which I thought was odd.

THEN....today I got a battery/charging malfunction, and a consumer malfunction. After that...the guages flipped out, and it stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear.

After I limped 'er home, I parked it and it wouldn't start. I let it sit a bit, and it started, but had all the errors again. It seems like an alternator problem. When I check the voltage on the battery with it off, it's right around 12. After charging, more like 12.5. After starting the car, it goes down, and keeps going down...like it's pulling the juice for the spark & engine off of the battery. The battery holds a charge just fine, so I'm thinking it's not that.

Is there anything else I should check? It's got 49k miles...should the alternator be cashed out already? Has anyone else seen anything like this? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
No! Theres noyhing else YOU should check out!! W 49k miles on that animal, get it to the dealer pronto for some warranty work before you run out at 50k! That batterty at 4+ years old is probably a hurtin unit and should be replaced. Welcome to the modern day MB, where its in for service more than on the road. (Cant wait til they make them less quirky and more drivable again like in the 80's & early 90's. Good luck! BC

·
Registered
2001 CLK-55
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, that's not an option. The car was first purchased in late 2000, so it's passed the 48 month rule. The dealer looked up the VIN, and said it was out of warranty. [V]

I think I'm going with the shotgun approach. I'll swap the alternator, if that doesn't work, I'll do the battery. Is there anything else that could be hosed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bring the car to a shop that can load test the battery. It looks like it would be easier to change the battery than the alternator

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
SSas....If it ends up not being a batt/alt issue, Kick and scream at the dealer as if you were a rich woman who just ran out of Bon-Bon's[:D]. A month or two out of warranty should not discourage you from at least asking the dealer to work w/ a customer who pays top dollar for a car, (w208) w/ known elec problems. If youve already owned MB, use that to your advantage as well. Good luck! BC

·
Registered
2001 CLK-55
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. I did call the dealer, and they said to send them a bill for the repair. I was pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,292 Posts
I had the same problem, it ended up being the alternator and the dealer changed the battery also, my experience has been if the alternator goes out, the battery wont be too far behind

·
Registered
2001 CLK-55
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to follow up...I replaced the alternator, and everything's back to normal. The whine that I assumed was the engine is gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts