Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
In time I may be able to add something. My 280 SL (not 8 but 6 cylinders) is not running on more than 4 at this time. One symptom it has, which is a telltale, is a strong smell of unburnt fuel. If a fuel pump is dead, or there are other signs of fuel starvation, the engine could be running poorly-but with all cylinders firing. Bad "something else" that results in no firing on a cylinder will not burn fuel getting to the chamber, and result in that smell.

Could be a lot of things at this time, from something simple (plug wire fell off) to bad; hole in piston, etc. I just received the car and I am still looking in the manual for the hood/bonnet release!
Regards

·
Premium Member
1985 380SL
130 Posts
In time I may be able to add something. My 280 SL (not 8 but 6 cylinders) is not running on more than 4 at this time. One symptom it has, which is a telltale, is a strong smell of unburnt fuel. If a fuel pump is dead, or there are other signs of fuel starvation, the engine could be running poorly-but with all cylinders firing. Bad "something else" that results in no firing on a cylinder will not burn fuel getting to the chamber, and result in that smell.

Could be a lot of things at this time, from something simple (plug wire fell off) to bad; hole in piston, etc. I just received the car and I am still looking in the manual for the hood/bonnet release!
Regards
Recommend you start a new thread.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts