Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had my catback Supersprint exhaust on for about a month now I'm beginning to notice that the truck doesn't have that initial quick pick up it did before I put this on. I know the muffler is extremely smaller than stock would that have something to do with it? but putting in bigger pipes you wouldn't think so... I'm baffled anyone with any ideas?

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Just admit that Mercedes engineers know better and go back to original equipment.

DelJ

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
When you reduce backpressure by going to bigger pipes and free flowing mufflers you often loose torque, but gain HP. So the initial PEP will be somewhat reduced. The challenge is finding the middle-ground where you gain both TQ and HP which can only be found in a true full cat-back system (not custom).

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
MLOffRoad - 5/9/2005 9:13 AM

When you reduce backpressure by going to bigger pipes and free flowing mufflers you often loose torque, but gain HP. So the initial PEP will be somewhat reduced. The challenge is finding the middle-ground where you gain both TQ and HP which can only be found in a true full cat-back system (not custom).
I do wish there was a full Dyno tested exhaust system from headers to tailpipe that could have replaced my system! It just does not seem to exist.

MLOffroad GOAT’s system IS a full Cat Back system (Not Custom). Who do you think supersprint is and what they do? A custom system would be putting bending and welding in a Magnaflow 2into 1 muffler with some custom piping!

GOAT How many KM’s on your Truck? Perhaps something shook loose in your Cat-Front part. Give a few taps on the Cats with a rubber mallet and see if it sounds like marbles inside.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Swizzles - 5/9/2005 1:00 PM

I do wish there was a full Dyno tested exhaust system from headers to tailpipe that could have replaced my system! It just does not seem to exist.

MLOffroad GOAT’s system IS a full Cat Back system (Not Custom). Who do you think supersprint is and what they do? A custom system would be putting bending and welding in a Magnaflow 2into 1 muffler with some custom piping!

GOAT How many KM’s on your Truck? Perhaps something shook loose in your Cat-Front part. Give a few taps on the Cats with a rubber mallet and see if it sounds like marbles inside.
Oh wow ... I cant believe I missed that. I thought he had custom piping with just a supersprint muffler. Sorry ... either way though what I said about going up to bigger piping and loosing TQ is true. [^]

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Swizzles I love your set up mentioned on your thread

Swizzles - 5/9/2005 12:00 PM

and I'm going to do a very similar set-up. Now, I bought the supersprint full cat back set not because of bhp gains [and I wonder if SS or the retailer would even attest to any gains--has to be 5 or less at best] but because I wanted a more audible grunt and of course the awesome looking quad tail pipes {I'd love to post some pics but the galleries are still unavailable for viewing}. You can clearly restore lost bhp by freeing up your clogging cats, as you have done. You can also add even more horses by installing wider pipe exhaust headers...which I'm trying to do if I can find a retailer who has some. Also, because of the reduced back pressure you lower the exhaust gas temperature. Not sure how much but Kleemann does an ECU alteration to adjust for this change. Perhaps the adjustment is for a bhp/torque trade off or maybe it for max bhp gain regardless of the torque effect. I don't know. I'm not an engineer---can anyone here enlighten us? We can all do a google search to find out I suppose.

Clearly the purpose of a complete exhaust mod is to get more horses to the wheels. With this in mind you remove the one existing oem resonator. Add two new cats. Two new resonators for noise reduction if you so desire. Add a louder muffler if you want to adjust the sound again. And enjoy! Doing the headers [find someone who will do custom ones for you I guess] and ECU "upgrade" takes you to the limit. What else can you really do to the exhaust and get more power?

As far as the lack in punch. I can't tell because I can feel the kompressor which more then overcomes any loss from the supersprint--which I did for looks and sound only anyway. There are other aftermarket mufflers out there but they can be a bit pricey--for no real bhp gains you can feel in your pants.

You need the torque for off the line sprints. But at speed you want the horses to move on the go. As heavy as the ML is I'm not going to work to get my 0-60 times down anymore. I'm interested in 30-50 and 50-70 and 70-90. Yes torque matters here too but I'd take 50 more horses versus 50 pound feet of torque any day. I want my engine getting to high RPMs quickly while being able to breathe and release with minimal restriction. What do you think?

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Swizzles... I had the catylic converter replaced under warranty back in the fall so that is not the problem and I only got 77K on my truck... Loch's I totally agree with you... where I live it is quite hilly so what I'm lookin for is that quick incline in RPM's but don't feel I'm getting it... let me know if you find someone who can supply the larger headers to supplement the cat back system... I'm sure that will make a huge difference as it did in my little rice rocket when I went with headers to full cat back in that. thanks for the info guys will keep lookin into it... cheers!

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sound is mean just like it should be... but not obnoxious... gives it a roar now on acceleration

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
Any one try AMG exhaust....the sound is better than stock yet torque does not seem to be lost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts