Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SLK230
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried installing a NOS-system on their SLK, or is it to crazy. It's a 230 with the M111-973 engine.

I'm experimenting with the thought of doing it. Not myself, it's definitely a job for the pros. It's a "dry" computer controlled system using the factory injectors and O2-sensor.

Anyone here with experience doing this? Pros, cons...??

[:)]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I have not seen anyone install it on an SLK but some of the E55 guys have done it.

Pro's:
Additional Power when you want it.

Con's:
Having to refil the bottel
Added stress to the engine when the NOS is activated
Have to be carful with the tuning so you don't run too lean.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Pros: tons of power on command

Cons: Death. Last year when I was still in high school, I took a couple courses at the local college. One of my classmates was in a wheelchair for life because of an accident involving NoS. He was racing someone in his 7_ impala, hit the nos, lost control, and flipped the car several times, totaling it and himself.

I dont know....to me, NoS is like fake power...it's that added boost that you can use sometimes, but it's not always power at hand. It's like cheating in my eyes[:D]

BUTTTT yeah it's definitely do-able.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
pros: more power of course

cons: reliability issues. lots of tuning.

http://speedoptions.com/features/cars.php?SpeedOptions=b1f3e23f9ebaa91264bd9afeb67c001d&carID=100

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1186301&posts=20&hl=nos

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
Yeah, that would rock, but it would just get ya to 155 quicker!

Afterward, for sale, 32 w/blown engine![B)]

·
Registered
1999 SLK230/ 2006 Passat/ 1995 Bronco (Prerunner)
413 Posts
tjfunny1 - 3/24/2005 9:42 PM

Save your bucks, trade in your 230 for a 32.[:D]

I knew this would be said..[8)]

I have N2O on my slk230 I have never dyno'd it to see how much but let me tell you.....listen to the instructions......NEVER use below 3000 RPM.

I think the dry kit is much better in the slk, I was using the wet kit when it backfired. I think the design of the intake doesn't flow well for nitrous with fuel. I think it puddled and caused the problem. That said, IT WAS FUN!!!! Off a light it would spin tires into the middle of the intersection the slight wheel hop til across the intersection. With a 75 hp jet.

By the way, it also blew out the MAF and intercooler endtank.....thats why I had custom endtanks made for the stock intercooler. Total cost would have been about $3000 to replace everything but I got it all fixed for about $800.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I dont know....to me, NoS is like fake power...it's that added boost that you can use sometimes, but it's not always power at hand. It's like cheating in my eyes[:D]

BUTTTT yeah it's definitely do-able.
its fake power about as much as a turbo or supercharger....."bottled boost" is all it is. Think about it, its nothing more than extra oxygen so you can burn more gas for more power. What does a turbo or supercharger do? Force more air (including oxygen) into the motor to burn with more fuel??? If you think thats cheating you should buy a BMW they think we are cheating with chargers and turbos already.

·
Registered
SLK230
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice...!

Suddenly it wasn't so tempting after all. I didn't realize that the intake-manifold was all plastic [xx(]

By the way, silverslk is it your car on the avatar?
Man, that looks like a cool bodykit..[:p]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
LUGNUT - 3/25/2005 1:51 AM

Thanks for the advice...!

Suddenly it wasn't so tempting after all. I didn't realize that the intake-manifold was all plastic [xx(]

By the way, silverslk is it your car on the avatar?
Man, that looks like a cool bodykit..[:p]
Don't knock a plastic intake manifold. It is a great way and place to save weight. Plus you can tune the manifold (or the factory can) in ways that thay can't (or really won't due to cost) with cast manifolds. It is just easier to make a mold.

Linh is 100% correct. Almost all problems with Nitrous are driver or installer error. There is or was a site on the web of a guy who blew up his garage with NOS and was trying to sue them and telling everyone to stay away. If you carefully read the posting you would see he wired it up so the bottle heater stayed on all the time. Imagine that the Nitrous got too hot and exploded. Who would ever think that was possible [xx(]

·
Registered
413 Posts
RE: Silverslk,

linh - 3/25/2005 2:23 AM

Do you still have the NOS kit installed in your car? 50 shot would good enough. Wet or dry is all depending on your a/f ratio. If you car is already running on the high side specially with pulley installed, then you need a wet kit for added fuel. If your car is stock, a dry would be better because factory set-up to run rich. Btw, #1 problem with NOS is driver error !!!
I never blamed anything but myself. I read the "don't use below 3000 rpm" but with an auto trans I wanted off the line harder. It got off the line hard for sure, until the one time that it went squeeeeeeeelllllll BOOM!!!!! and it shuddered all the way home BARELY running, I don't know why (look at the pics).

Yes, it is still all in the car and wired just pulled the bottle brackets. I have thought about trying it again only on the freeway or something but, I have to wait for the j-yard to get another intake manifold in.HAHA!!

I am also thinking about having a custom manifold made "short runner" with direct port nitrous bungs. I just don't like the major turns that air (and fuel, with wet kit) have to make. Does everyone know just how "un-straight" the path is? It flows down through the throttle body then has to turn up andthen 90 degrees towards the motor. Does that make sense??(my description I mean???)

·
Registered
413 Posts
thats why I want a metal intake I don't want to try to mount injectors in plastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts