Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Normal Operating Temp ?

1598 4
I just pick up a 1991 190E 2.3 with 70K milage and one of the best I have seen( have been looking for sometime now)
and I would like to know were the norm is on water temp.
Can any one give me some idea.
thanks [:)]
John
azshooters.com
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
The needle should be the 80C and 100C marks. If it's at 100C or more all the time, look...

The needle should be the 80C and 100C marks. If it's at 100C or more all the time, look into a cooling system repair. Usually new radiator and thermostat, possibly fan clutch as well.

Does your cruise control work?

· Registered
190e 2.6
16 Posts
water wetter

Although I have not put it in yet many people say Redline's Water Wetter works well to keep engine temps down. They sell it through performance products catalog, but you should be able to get it at Pep Boys, kragen, etc.

· Registered
12 Posts
Re: The needle should be the 80C and 100C marks. If it's at 100C or more all the time, look

The needle should be the 80C and 100C marks. If it's at 100C or more all the time, look into a cooling system repair. Usually new radiator and thermostat, possibly fan clutch as well.

Does your cruise control work?
I'm curious to know why you ask if the cruise control works..?

I've had terrible overheating problems recently. Discovered that one of the causes was a bad thermal switch that turns the fan on when the engine reaches a certain temperature. I removed the switched and bridged it so that it's always on, hence the fan is always engaged. This has done wonders for keeping my engine cool but I still have a leak somewhere that I need to fix. Just have to find that now.

Anyways.. Cruise control used to work, doesn't anymore.

· Registered
1980 300GD Cabrio ,
117 Posts
I investigated the thermostat rating on my 1993 190 2.3 and found that there two versions....

I investigated the thermostat rating on my 1993 190 2.3 and found that there two versions. I replaced the hotter one for the cooler rated version. Now the car runs at 80 degrees C, and only goes higher when at higher elevation and working hard, or in very heavy traffic and until the fan engages. This has not changed the heater functioning, nor the car's performance. I feel happier mostly since I really do not like see a car operate at higher tempertures.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.