Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 model w210 e55 amg
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys! just would like to ask about the normal operating temp of the engine of the w210 e55 amg 99 model. should it be on the middle of 80-90 or should it be on 80? or is it ok if it passes 90 on the gauge??? thanks so much

·
Registered
483 Posts
all the way up to red is normal

Living in Arizona..
As a general rule in stop go traffic.

On a less than 80* day 80-90
On a 80* day it will be between 90-100
100-120*+ in stop and go traffic 90-110 sometimes just below red.

These engines are pretty hardy, if the temp gets gigh its best to kep driving and get airflow, turning it off won't dissipate the heat.

Simplw answer, YES it is fine to pass 90

·
Registered
29 Posts
When does the AC fan come on? When you take the EC mode off and lower the inside temp does it come on automatically? or does it have to wait until the engine temperature gets high?

·
Registered
2003 CL600
91 Posts
I posted this in another forum, but the thermostat opens at 80 C. The fan comes on at 90 C. So the car will always run at or above 80 C, anything below that and the thermostat will close to warm the engine. Anything between 80 and 90 is normal. Over 90, and the fans are trying to cool the car. Anything well over 90, and the fans are failing to cool the car enough. You might want to look into new coolant and something like Redline Water Wetter in this case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also check your fuses. I had a 10 amp fuse blow (#41 I think - under the hood, driver side) The fuse knocked out my horn, wiper pump, and the Accessory fan. My engine temp was getting close to 100c while in stop'n go traffic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts