Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my engine temperature gauge is now at a different position when the engine is hot then where it had been for the last three years. I thought it used to hang out just below the gauge mid point (around 70 C). But now when hot it moves to 90 C. No where near the red zone but I want to be preemptive if a problem is brewing. This is local or interstate driving.

Can anyone share their normal warm engine temp reading? Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think my engine temperature gauge is now at a different position when the engine is hot then where it had been for the last three years. I thought it used to hang out just below the gauge mid point (around 70 C). But now when hot it moves to 90 C. No where near the red zone but I want to be preemptive if a problem is brewing. This is local or interstate driving.

I think your 70 figure is a little inaccurate. Both my 08 C350 and 11 E550 run around 85-90 all the time. Since I live very close to your location that should be a pretty good reference point. With the cooler temps we have had lately, I know you northern guys must be laughing, my car has been closer to 80 but never below thus far regardless of highway or city driving. It seems the thermostat is set to regulate between that 80-90 range. Imsure if you were to track the car in the middle of summer or operate at either end of the outside temp spectrum there would be some minor variations.

·
Registered
327 Posts

What you are seeing is too low. Normal running position is about two needle widths above 80 with some upward variation at times. Since the thermostat is electronically controlled, this is a question for your dealer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention the dealership reprogrammed the SAM recently because of my headlights turning off randomly. I wouldn't think that change would factor in.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I forgot to mention the dealership reprogrammed the SAM recently because of my headlights turning off randomly. I wouldn't think that change would factor in.
Just tell them it's running cold all the time.

It could also be the gauge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts