Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 GL450 about 70k miles
Is it normal for the air suspension to be adjusting constantly? I notice at just about every stop that is is moving. It is usually rising but sometimes lowering. I thought it may be just doing it was supposed to but then I saw a message that said "compressor cooling down" which leads me to believe it was overworking.
I replaced the drivers side front shock and compressor last year all OEM and have really only noticed the movement recently though I suppose it could have been going on all along.
I'm worried I might have another leak and don't want to burn out the new compressor. Would the computer generate a code if something was wrong at this point?

I can't believe there hasn't been a successful class action suit against MB for this.

thanks

Ben

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
2012 GL450 about 70k miles

Is it normal for the air suspension to be adjusting constantly? I notice at just about every stop that is is moving. It is usually rising but sometimes lowering. I thought it may be just doing it was supposed to but then I saw a message that said "compressor cooling down" which leads me to believe it was overworking.

I replaced the drivers side front shock and compressor last year all OEM and have really only noticed the movement recently though I suppose it could have been going on all along.

I'm worried I might have another leak and don't want to burn out the new compressor. Would the computer generate a code if something was wrong at this point?

I can't believe there hasn't been a successful class action suit against MB for this.

thanks

Ben

The only code that I have seen generated for Airmatic faults is an airmatic error on the display. I have never seen a check engine light for that. Is the compressor still under warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The compressor has a one year warranty on it from the mechanic who installed it. I just don't think it should be cycling up and down as much as it is and am afraid I'll have to replace it again. The only error I got so far was a "compressor cooling down" message that sounds ominous to me. It was a very cold day too...
He said to stop by and have it scanned to see if there any other codes showing up in the computer that aren't popping up on the display so we shall see.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Sounds like you have a leak in the system. My 07 320 has a small leak in the left rear but haven't had the compressor cool down warning. I did have a airmatic malfunction but removing the links to the level sensors and cleaning and lubricating them cured that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
First, if you're getting the "cooling down" alert the compressor is running too much. When working properly, this alert should never come up. This is usually limited to only a handful of culprits in the airmatic system:

1.Leak in one of your air spring bags/seals
2.Leak/crack in your air-lines that lead to one or more of your air springs
3.Leak in the compressor itself
4.Malfunctioning compressor
5.Malfunctioning relay
6.Ride height sensor/leveler(s) stuck or broken.

You will not get a check engine light for any suspension related issues I'm aware of. However, you may get the dreaded "malfunction" alert though. There are DIYs and plenty of sources for troubleshooting all of these above issues elsewhere. In my own case years ago, it was a cracked casing on the compressor itself that allowed for air to leak. The compressor needed swapping and it was good to go - a DIY job I did on my own and was not very complicated. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you park your truck, do you see any corners sagging after a while?
I just bought a used one and sometimes have the right side "sag" a litter lower than the left. They both lower, but the right lowers more. Before I bough the car, Carfax showed that the compressor and front left strut were replaced this past year.

This is not a consistent issue, and not really sure it's an issue at all. One strut is new, so when the whole front lowers when parked, the newer strut sits about an inch higher. I'm guessing that the internal suspension (is there a spring) is firmer.

Any input?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on this:

I had to replace the shock because the monitoring circuit in it was bad. I found that odd because it was cycling up and down a lot whenever I stopped. It has been fine since except for an occasional "Malfunction " error message. The shock height is staying up though.

So far replaced both front shocks and compressor to the total tune of about $3k.

Have I mentioned how much I love this car other than the suspension issues?

BTW I made a Facebook group for GL450 owners in case anyone is interested, just to have a way to share pix and discuss things.

Ben

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
MBNZtygrys1
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing