Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has this ever happened to anyone and if so: what does it mean?
it was gorgeous day today, so i dropped the top (only about the 4th time i've been able to). a few minutes after i took off, i heard a beeping sound and the top control button light was flashing red. i pulled on the button, motor made no sound (i thought maybe i didn't hold it long enough. i did stop before i did this). and about 10 minutes later; it happened again. but i was where i was going, so i put the top up. what does it mean? what should i do?
2nd question: i know the dash and door panels are not leather, don't know what they are made of; but what do you guys use to clean them (i've heard armorall is a no-no)???
last one: i have a 2k slk230, what's the best tire pressure? i've noticed if i keep at around 40psi i get about 35mpg, but i had work done on it and mx told me it should be 30/33, so they changed it, now i get about 28mpg. what am i doing to my tires at the higher pressure?

ok enough dumb questions: thankx for your help!!![;)]

actually thought of one more: i was reading in here about air filters, which ones are best, etc. and someone said something about making sure you don't put too much oil on it??? did i misunderstand? i've NEVER put oil any where near an air filter.

thankx

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
barndogz - 3/18/2005 2:14 PM

actually thought of one more: i was reading in here about air filters, which ones are best, etc. and someone said something about making sure you don't put too much oil on it??? did i misunderstand? i've NEVER put oil any where near an air filter.
I'll take a stab at this one...They are talking about after-market K&N type filters, oiled cotton gauze. After you clean them you must re-oil them but you don't want to use too much oil. I just use OEM paper filters, no need for cleaning and re-oiling, just throw them out and put in new ones.

As for tire pressure I just run what is on the fuel filler door. 35psi rear and 32psi front for the SLK32 with original wheels and Michelin Pilot Sports. Don't get anywhere near that kind of MPG with the 32, more like 18-19mpg.

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
16falcon - 3/18/2005 3:53 PM

I'll take a stab at this one...They are talking about after-market K&N type filters, oiled cotton gauze. After you clean them you must re-oil them but you don't want to use too much oil. I just use OEM paper filters, no need for cleaning and re-oiling, just throw them out and put in new ones.

As for tire pressure I just run what is on the fuel filler door. 35psi rear and 32psi front for the SLK32 with original wheels and Michelin Pilot Sports. Don't get anywhere near that kind of MPG with the 32, more like 18-19mpg.

thankx for the air filter info...i was totally lost.
better mpg is one advantage of a 4 banger [:p]

·
Registered
99 slk 230 sport
144 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 99' SLK230. It could be that you did not cycle the top completely and the alarm is letting you know. However, if this problem persists it is most likely a microsensor, pump, or the control unit. Do a search and you will find plenty of discussion about this. For me it was the pump, the dealer (non-MB) paid to have it fixed at MB. He had negotiated rates and I think he was out ~$500. Crappy, but not the end of the world.

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okieslk - 3/18/2005 4:40 PM

I had a similar problem with my 99' SLK230. It could be that you did not cycle the top completely and the alarm is letting you know. However, if this problem persists it is most likely a microsensor, pump, or the control unit. Do a search and you will find plenty of discussion about this. For me it was the pump, the dealer (non-MB) paid to have it fixed at MB. He had negotiated rates and I think he was out ~$500. Crappy, but not the end of the world.
thankx. i haven't had the chance to cycle the top again yet. i may have not held the button long enough: i was afraid to put undue stress on the motor. dumb question: how do i know when it's done doing it's thing? will the light go out? i just stopped when i heard the motor cut out. maybe too soon. [:0]

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
barndogz - 3/18/2005 4:58 PM
dumb question: how do i know when it's done doing it's thing? will the light go out? i just stopped when i heard the motor cut out. maybe too soon. [:0]
when the windows are all the way up...

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
When windows are starting to go up.
That is correct, but the light does go out, right before the windows start going up. The cycle is complete when the light goes out.

From the manual:

The indicator lamp in the hardtop switch goes
out – the opening procedure is completed.

Followed by:

If the hardtop switch is held or is released and slid back again within approximately 30 seconds, the door windows will close.

However, the door windows can also be closed /opened
later on. Slide hardtop switch twice forward/backward
and hold.

2nd question: i know the dash and door panels are not leather, don't know what they are made of; but what do you guys use to clean them (i've heard armorall is a no-no)???
I thought the door inserts were leather, but maybe not, I got that from an old post I looked up the other day. For the non-leather (plastic) you are correct, don't use Armorall. I use Aerospace 303 Protectant but there are many choices, see the following thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1203460&posts=17&fid=26

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
16falcon - 3/18/2005 6:53 PM

When windows are starting to go up.
That is correct, but the light does go out, right before the windows start going up. The cycle is complete when the light goes out.

From the manual:

The indicator lamp in the hardtop switch goes
out – the opening procedure is completed.

Followed by:

If the hardtop switch is held or is released and slid back again within approximately 30 seconds, the door windows will close.

However, the door windows can also be closed /opened
later on. Slide hardtop switch twice forward/backward
and hold.

I thought the door inserts were leather, but maybe not, I got that from an old post I looked up the other day. For the non-leather (plastic) you are correct, don't use Armorall. I use Aerospace 303 Protectant but there are many choices, see the following thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1203460&posts=17&fid=26

thankx for the great info. i did not hold the button long enough: the windows didn't come up. i just hope it was operator error only.
my manual is sitting at home right now (i know great place for it). [xx(] but i couldn't remeber the exact sequence of events. i'm glad you guys are here [^]: THANKX

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
You don't have to wait for the windows to go up. Just wait for the redlight to go out then release.

A downside to running 40psi is that you will wear out the center of your tires faster.

Whatever you use on your dash make sure it does not silicone. I use vinyl treatment from Griots garage.

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did wait for the light to go out; still got the beeping. i'll run it thru a few times tommorrow and see what it does.

duh: never thought about wearin' out the middle of the tire. [:I]

thankx for the silicone info. [;)]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
You got some real good answers here .............

The guys that answered know what they are talking about. I would like to add from personal experiance that tire pressure seems works best at about 35 to 36 psi all around. Lower pressure gives a softer ride, but under inflation, even slightly will tend to wear the outside edges of the tire.
As 430 said, over inflation will wear the center out faster, and the ride is rougher. The benefit to higher pressure is that you get better turn-in and all around grip on the road. There are always trade offs aren't there?...[:)]
The roof problem may not be a problem. You can let go of the roof switch when the light goes out if you want, but the windows start to go up at almost the same instant. I have found it easier just to let the windows go up an inch or two, it insures that thr roof cycle is complete. They come back down fast enough with a double click on the roof switch, or you can do the window switches seperately. Both work...
The only leather in the interior are the seat panels. The rest is vinyl. Armor All and Son of a Gun (STP) are not that good, Vynilex, Girot's Garage and a few others, including Mercedes own brand (Meguiar's) work very well.
You are right about oil and air filters. The stock filters are paper and oil will foul them. K&N filters and some of the cone filters require oil to make them work right. The stock filters work fine, and require no maintainance other then replacement after 10,000 miles.
Point of interest, there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers............ [;)]

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RE: You got some real good answers here .............

Bruce R. - 3/18/2005 10:30 PM

The guys that answered know what they are talking about. I would like to add from personal experiance that tire pressure seems works best at about 35 to 36 psi all around. Lower pressure gives a softer ride, but under inflation, even slightly will tend to wear the outside edges of the tire.
As 430 said, over inflation will wear the center out faster, and the ride is rougher. The benefit to higher pressure is that you get better turn-in and all around grip on the road. There are always trade offs aren't there?...[:)]
The roof problem may not be a problem. You can let go of the roof switch when the light goes out if you want, but the windows start to go up at almost the same instant. I have found it easier just to let the windows go up an inch or two, it insures that thr roof cycle is complete. They come back down fast enough with a double click on the roof switch, or you can do the window switches seperately. Both work...
The only leather in the interior are the seat panels. The rest is vinyl. Armor All and Son of a Gun (STP) are not that good, Vynilex, Girot's Garage and a few others, including Mercedes own brand (Meguiar's) work very well.
You are right about oil and air filters. The stock filters are paper and oil will foul them. K&N filters and some of the cone filters require oil to make them work right. The stock filters work fine, and require no maintainance other then replacement after 10,000 miles.
Point of interest, there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers............ [;)]

thankx: i'll try the window thing!!!!
i've read some things on this forum about switching to the cone airfilter. is it hard to do, and if not: is it worth it?
i'll try the Meguiar's leather cleaner.cond. i have the mequir's car wash "detergent" and the wax, haven't tried them yet (i don't have a garage to keep her in and i've had issues in the past with washing my cars in the winter. even tho they're dried, not until i washed it did i have lock freeze problems). [:(!]

thankx for all your help [^]

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
I use vynelex (sp?) for the plastic, which is a vast majority of the interior. Its made by lexol, which btw I use on the leather.

As far as the door inserts, assuming your talking about the section above the door handle its not leather. It cant be, needs to be consistant material for the airbag to deploy. The only part that seems to be real leather are the seats. When I had the door off it was easy to see that indeed its all nice pleather [:D] I like vylex because it doesnt have that shine like armour all, but does add a nice deep tone to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts