Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320 4Matic Sedan (W210)
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

First post here, so please be gentle. I've been reading the audio forum here for several weeks now, in search of the best way to upgrade the audio system in my MB. Here's what I have:

2002 E-320 Sedan, W210 (as I understand it). The car does not have a phone installed, never did, but I also understand that because its a US car, it probably is pre-wired for one? The head unit is pictured below:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/mercedes/e430/images/CIMG2010-radio.jpg

I have not torn into the trunk to see if I have a Bose amp, however the rear speakers say Bose on them. That leads me to beleive that there is a Bose amp. Also, the car does not have a CD changer, again maybe its pre-wired for one?

What I would like to integrate into the car is iPod (with a decent interface if possible), bluetooth for phone and possibly A2DP, XM or Sirius radio, possibly CD playback. Navigation is low on the list, but if it can be done without too much effort (pulling trim panels and changing out a bracket I would classify as moderately easy). Also, my wife would really like it if the steering wheel controls still worked!

So what is the best way to go about this? I've looked at cartronic's site, and there seems to be a lot of good products there, but I wonder if I can use multiple adapters from them (example: bluetooth, Ipod/sat/aux adapter, remote start adapter)? Seems like most everything goes over the fiber optic system, but didnt know if there is a device limit or anything.

For CD playback, would a deck like this:

http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/7/3/30/tradewizard/f_sidefullm_6f4f3a1.jpg

a better choice than a CD changer? We have zero need for a cassette tape, other than its currently being used for audio input of ipod and not very well!

Not sure how good the 2002 era Nav is, but I absolutely fell in love with my parents' new '11 ML350's nav! Can a newer nav be installed in the '02 E-320?

I would prefer at this time to stick with a Mercedes head unit as it seems to be the only way to guarantee the functionality of the steering wheel controls (checked PAC audio, and they dont support the '02). Order of importance of features:

1) iPod
2) Steering wheel controls
3) Bluetooth phone (with steering controls)
4) Sat radio
5) Navigation
6) CD Playback
7) A2DP audio streaming

I'd say 1-4 are requirements and 5 and 6 are defintely something we would want to have if possibe. I can live without A2DP. I just want to tear into the car once and get it all done, rather than doing multiple installations, as the car is driven daily and I can probably only get it for a weekend from my wife to do the install! :)

If I cant get 1-4 above to work then I will look at aftermarket radios (probably a Kenwood X994) and lose steering wheel controls but gain CD and A2DP. I appreciate any comments or suggestions you can give me.

One other thing, what all does it take to get the tele-aid to work? I would assume its currently an extinct analog phone that needs a digital conversion? is it feasible? break the bank?

·
Registered
2005 CL65 AMG, 2007 Ferrari F430
790 Posts
All of Cartronics.com products will work together. Your car will not support any NON-fiber optic changer on the system. The only upgrade to the NAV is a new set of CD's, unless you change the entire system, of course. It is not really feasable to put a M.O.S.T. fiber optic system in a D2B car (which your is). In the E-Class the changeover happened in 2003 for the Sedan and 2004 for the Wagon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. So after reading that, and reading many more posts on here again, it would seem to me that if I want to have full control over things like iPod and satellite tuners, and could live without steering wheel controls, going with an aftermarket head unit would be my best option.

What did Mercedes do in 2001 and 2002 that made the steering wheel controls not the same as other years? It is still CANBUS isnt it? Guess I dont fully understand why an adapter cant be made to work, just read tons of posts that they dont work.

I think my wife would be fine without steering wheel controls, but I have to admit they are convenient. But having the headunit in control of the ipod, satellite tuner, a CD/DVD, and bluetooth is much more appealing than having to use the iPod or a sat tuner to control input into the stock radio.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd second the opinion to go with an aftermarket HU, some of them have remotes that are pretty easy to use, if you don't like reaching over to the radio.
You'll get very good iPod/Bluetooth/Sat integration, adding on to your existing HU will be somewhat cobbled together.

You can even use RCA line outs into your Bose amp if you want, or you can re-wire to your existing speakers otherwise.

I put a Kenwood X994 into my '01, and connected to the Bose amp with the RCA outputs. It worked out just fine. A nice double-din unit would've been even better, but I didn't want to spend too much on what is becoming an old-ish car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally made it though the holiday season and am back at this project. I have decided to go with an aftermarket radio, not sure which one yet, still deciding on that. But from what I can tell, if I want to interface with the factory Bose amp, I want a stereo with F+R pre-amp outputs, with at least 4V, correct?

The next thing I need to decide on is what to do about bluetooth phone and steering wheel controls. Thought maybe the Metro Axxess ASWC would work, but they told me no it wont work with the 2002 W210. Same goes for PAC Audio stuff. So there is no way then to interface the steering wheel controls to the new aftermarket radio in this car, correct?

And to that end, there really are only 2 buttons that could be used right, the volume controls? I have not played with the radio much, its my wife's car. If its just volume controls that we would be losing, then the question is what is the best way to do the phone: BT through the headunit, or get the equipment to use the car's phone system (BT puck) which would allow the phone control buttons on the steering wheel to work correct?

If I go with the BT puck, is there a way for that to mute the aftermarket stereo somehow, and if so, what do I need?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts