Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 W123 230E, 1974 VW Thing, 09 Honda Ridgeline
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy...

I am looking at W123 1985 230E here in Texas... I know it's not a US Spec car. I believe it was imported from Mexico.

Are there any things I should look for? Any gotchas? Any Advice?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
The single timing chain of the M102 engine needs to be changed every 150,000 miles/200,000 km or so.

The valve cover is made of composite material, which can break if it is overtorqued.

Look if the spark plugs are easily removed and if the thread is in good order.

The K jetronic is generally maintenance-free, there could be some problems with sensors for cold start and cold run, but those are easily fixed.

How many miles on the clock? Do you know?

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes 300D Euro Spec
462 Posts
Was anything done to the car when it was brought over? Euro/International models came with no smog equipment, e code lights, smaller bumpers, speedo and odometer in kilometers. Was it ordered with air conditioning? If anything has been modified on it I would offer a little less money for it so that it can be returned to its original specs. The exhaust manifolds are known to crack between cylinders 2 and 3. If it hasn't been done already you might want to consider replacing the radiator. The non us models are the best ones to get:thumbsup:

·
Registered
420 SEL, 300E, 300CE, 190E, 79' 450SLC 5.0 #925
260 Posts
over voltage protection relay

Sorry this is off topic but can anyone tell me where the OVPR is located on a 1985 230E gray market car? Friend has this car and besides the fuel pump relay that's acting up I wanted to check this other component out but can't find it. Thanks for any help. Toomson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts