Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[8D]Hi,
I had purchased u-joints with the intent of installing them on my '71 3.5 coupe. I have now found out that the u-joints are not a servicable item and the driveshaft has to be replaced or rebuilt because the u-joints are staked in place and balanced at the factory. Has anyone had experience in this area? I found one place on the net that wants $450+ for a rebuilt driveshaft. Is this in line with what one would expect?
Thanks,
Tony[:)]

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sounds a bit steep for what is really basic engineering work.Do you have a heavy truck repair center near you ?,they do drive shafts all the time,Or is there a "hardy spicer" outlet close by,they manufacture the joints and usually do in house work such as this.BMW's have had this system forever and when I was restoring BMWs (in a misguided attempt at enjoying myself!)I always had to get the shafts modified to suit the different joints.The entire job including balance etc was never more than $150 and was done in a day.

·
Registered
1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[8D]Thanks for the advice. I found a local shop that will do it for $225 including the joints.
Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW-your cab looks great. My car needs a LOT of restoration-it will keep me busy for years.
It was quite an ordeal to fit the wheels. They are 16X8 600SL alloys with 225/55/16 Conti tires. I had to convert to wheel studs and use hub-centric spacers to fit them. I will be happy to give you more info if you e-mail me at [email protected] The car feels much more stable with the new wheels/tires but the ride is not as smooth with the shorter sidewalls. The rears have less than 1/4" clearance but they don't rub.
Tony[8D]

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts