Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
'07 GL320 cdi, '08 GL320 cdi
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you NM folks know this seller? Neatest looking haflinger i've seen...

HAFLINGER 4X4 MILITARY VEHICLE TRUCK PINZGAUER UNIMOG ATV HAFLINGER 4X4 MILITARY VEHICLE TRUCK PINZGAUER UNIMOG ATV | eBay

Pinzgauer Unimog ATV Ebay said:
Chama NM, United States

Time left: 6d 03h (Jan 24, 201218:00:00 PST)

Up for sale is a 1968 Haflinger 4x4 Vehicle. This small on/off road pick-up is considered a passenger car in the US and comes with a clear New Mexico (USA) title. Furthermore, unlike ATVs or UTVs, it is street legal and can be registered in all 50 states!

This rare Series 2 Haflinger is a model 700AP, was originally built for the Swiss Army, and is in exceptional condition! It has very few dents, all dating back to military use, and has no rust!

It is a small, lightweight, four-wheel drive, high mobility vehicle that measures about 118" long, 54" wide (outside body), and 62" wide (outside flotation tires). It measures 68" high (with the top) and 48" high (without the top and with the windshield folded down). It has 9" of ground clearance under the differential! It is powered by a 643 cc (increased to 745cc on this Haflinger!) twin horizontally opposed, rear mounted, air-cooled engine. It is equipped with a 5-speed, synchronized transmission (4 road speeds with 1 low crawl gear). The drive shafts are completely enclosed and run inside the center tube frame. It utilizes a coil spring independent suspension, with portal axles front and rear, that are equipped with manually operated differential lockers. This vehicle weights 1400lbs empty and has a gross weight of 2550 lbs. It can be lifted by four strong people, yet can carry a load of 1100lbs! It is equipped with a 12V electrical system. The odometer shows 36,627km and the VIN is 5359250. In military use, this truck falls into the category of the light utility vehicle.

For additional photos, visit www.photobucket.com/1968Haflinger

Please view all photos and read the description carefully .

If you still have questions, feel free to contact Soni at (505)787-9961

With prior arrangement, the seller will deliver the vehicle within a 400 mile radius of seller's location for $2.00/mile.

We pride ourselves in giving a full and accurate description of our vehicles listed.

This vehicle is being auctioned in an AS-IS condition with No Warranty

*****This is a NO RESERVE Auction*****

The High Bidder takes it home.

Happy Bidding!!!

PARTICULAR FEATURES THAT ADD TO THE OFF-ROAD CAPABILITY INCLUDE:

- Exceptionally low center of gravity due to the low placement of the chassis and the lack of upper bodywork

- Generous approach and departure angles

- The provision of both front and rear differential locks enables the vehicle to make progress even if only one wheel is in firm contact with the ground.

- The 'portal' type design of the front and rear axles means that the center of the axle is above the center of the wheel, thus increasing ground clearance under the axle without the need to increase the wheel diameter. Power is transmitted from the axle to the wheel via drop gears in each wheel hub.

- The suspension is fully independent, each half-axle having about 25 cm of free movement.

I used to import Haflingers from Switzerland to the US, back in the days when they were still affordable. This Haflinger listed for sale is the one I had kept for my personal collection, since it was the nicest one of them all. It is about as nice of a Haflinger anyone can find here in the US!

IF YOU HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR A MINT HAFLINGER…..HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO GET THE BEST!!!!

This truck runs great! It is easy to start and drive and rides like a dream for a small, short wheel base vehicle. Everything works like it’s supposed to and it’s ready to go to work or just go out and have fun!

IT COMES EQUIPPED WITH ALL THESE ORIGINAL SWISS ARMY GOODIES:

- Original Swiss Army Jerry Can

- Original Swiss Army Jerry Can spout (this is the good copper long spout, not the cheap imitation!)

- Complete Swiss Army tool-kit (see photo)

- Set of 4 pattern type snow chains (see photo)

- Emergency hand crank handle for engine

- Original jack (new version)

- Set of 4 original Haflinger wheels with the correct Swiss Army “Maloya” brand tires that have 90-95% tread life left

- Swiss Army warning triangle

- Original grease gun

- Original Manual

- Swiss Army collapsible canvas bucket

LISTED BELOW ARE SOME OF THE NEW PARTS, CUSTOM MODIFICATIONS AND EXTRAS:

- New Engine with the larger displacement cylinder and piston kit installed (this kit increases the engine displacement to approx. 750cc with a power increase of around 10HP!)

- Freshly rebuilt Weber carburetor

- New sparkplug wire conversion kit installed to be able to use standard automotive sparkplugs

- New OEM electric fuel pump

- Air cleaner converted to use K&N performance filter element

- New complete front axle assembly

- New top

- New seat cushions and backrests with new improved polyurethane seat suspension straps instead of the rubber ones that always fail

- New front and rear brakes (shoes and wheel cylinder)

- New Bilstein Shocks for a nice smooth ride

- New front and back springs

- 4 Custom MRT bead lock wheels with 4 Carlisle Tru-Power 26 x 12.00-12 high flotation tires that have about 50-60% tread life left

- 1 “space-saver” spare tire to fit in the mount, with matching tread to go with the tires and rims above

- 1 Warn 4000lbs. electric winch with a roller fairlead, bolted to a custom mounting bracket

- 1 Optima Yellow Top deep cycle battery

- All new “Desert Tan” paint

These are just some of the major items on this “Bad to the Bone” Haflinger, because there are just simply too many to list here!

We have gone completely through this Haflinger in our Military Vehicle Shop here in Chama, NM. It has only been driven by me and has been very well maintained. I’ve owned it for many years, but I have too many toys and it’s time to part with some of them. I hope it finds a great home!

A Brief History on this VERY UNIQUE VEHICLE

After WWII, the Swiss and Austrian Army were equipped with the surplus US Army Willys MB and Ford GPW Jeep. A decade after hostilities ended, the Swiss and Army were considering the retirement of the aging Jeeps in favor of something more contemporary as well as locally designed and produced. The design genius of Erich Ledwinka was utilized by the Austrian firm Steyr-Puch to produce and field test prototypes. Once the production model design was finalized, the trucks were manufactured between 1959 and 1975 and were exported all over the world. The manufacturer designated the trucks as "Type Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle". A total of 16,647 were made with approximately 7,000 of them being recruited into military service by the Swiss, Austrian and Australian armies and the Royal Navy. Some of the Australian Army trucks saw service in Viet Nam during that conflict. The majority of the Haflinger trucks entered directly into the hands of private owners around the world with a small number also being placed into municipal, ambulance and fire brigade services. Just like its predecessor, the US Army Jeep, the Haflinger trucks are at home both off and on road. They have been licensed for on-road use throughout Europe, North and South America, Asia, Africa and Australia. During their 16 year production run, the trucks not only saw domestic sales in Austria but were exported to thirty-five other countries. The first trucks to see use in the United States arrived in 1960. In 1983, a gentleman drove his newly purchased used Haflinger from Vermont back to his home in California. While that is an impressive journey, it pales in comparison to the journey documented by famous Austrian travel journalist Ernst Wiese in his book 10,000 Miles through Arabia. That work describes his four month long travels from Vienna to the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula and back in his "brave Haflinger". Due to its multi-functional capabilities, many in Europe refer to these vehicles as cars, trucks as well as the "Austrian Jeep".

Since August, 2006 there exists a web-project that wants to document the different Haflinger types, the many details and the changes that came with the years of production. Haflinger TDC

Most enthusiasts are found in Germany and Austria, where there are thriving clubs. There are also many owners/enthusiasts in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, and Asia. One of the more important club meetings is held every year at the village of Hafling (Avelengo) in Italy.

Steyr subsequently designed and produced a much larger vehicle of very similar layout to the Haflinger, called the Pinzgauer, which is available in both 4x4 and 6x6 versions.

The name originates from a sturdy, tough and very sure-footed mountain horse breed of the same name.

The Haflinger changed very little during its years of production, but there are some notable changes and variants along the way:

Series 1: original model, 4-speed gearbox

Series 2: 5-speed gearbox (Krawler gear) and a higher output motor

Polycab: upper steel bodywork optionally replaced with a fully enclosed fibreglass cab

SchneeWiesel: "Snow Weasel" with tires replaced by tracks for snow/ice operations

Swiss Military: Series1/2 hybrid with unique bumpers, canvas, and other details

USA-spec: Larger "bugeye" headlights, other modifications to meet US requirements..

Attachments

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,008 Posts
The guy who owns all the stuff in the background is named Soni. I presume he owns the halfi as well. I wish I could separate from that kind of cash right now.

I have wheeled with him several times.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was he in that cummins powered Scorpion that the original Haffy wheels and tires are stored on? looks like a bad a** ride.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
745cc? That's the engine size of the second-smallest bike I ever owned (if you exclude the minibike I had as a little kid).

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,753 Posts
So taking a look at it, it seems to operate much in the same way the unimog torque tubes and chassis flex do?

It does look like a bad little machine.

The hafi look like it's about as sorted out as you can get and would make a great tender to a larger unimog.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,008 Posts
Ok since you know both - would you rather have your 404 Mog or the Scorpion (for offroad situations)?
Tough one! They both have their ups and downs.

However, for heavier offroad work I have to give it up to the modified 404. One big plus for the mog is the axle ground clearance which just can't be beat by anything with traditional axles.

But if your looking for a very very capable, COMFORTABLE, cool trail truck, the scorpion should be at the top of your short list.

The suspension is both simplistic and complex at the same time on the scorpion. This is one big issue as I see it. Lots of junk to hang up on, and seemingly complex to repair in the field.

But again, I would put my money on the 404 in most heavy offroad situations.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Soni is a great guy. I've met him several times over the years. One of his first trucks was a Power Wagon when he lived in Fayetteville. If he built it it's likely nice. particularly since this Hafi was his own. I've always wanted to try one of those out. The bigger tires is a nice addition. From recent prices and the condition I would expect it to go for a fair amount.
Like Doka I wish I had the extra bread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they are a plush, plush ride, drove one that Sean P. had years back and was close to pulling the trigger. makes a Kubota RTV seem like a horse drawn wagon. different animals, but both commanding unbelievable prices!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
they are a plush, plush ride, drove one that Sean P. had years back and was close to pulling the trigger. makes a Kubota RTV seem like a horse drawn wagon. different animals, but both commanding unbelievable prices!
So what do you think it is about their design that makes them so capable? Pretty old technology so you would think that a modern UTV would out perform. Maybe Kubotas can't hold up to Polaris.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,113 Posts
portals and lockers help, you could say the same about anything modern vs mog, but mog always comes out on top.

And being designed by Steyr-Puch can't hurt

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
If anyone is seriously interested in this halfi, I have time to go view it. And I might be able to get it as far as TX or LA next month on the back of the mog.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts