Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CLK350
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new to benzworld and already learned a lot of things and wanted to say thanx... Anyway i own a 2006 clk350 and optioned not to buy the bi-xenon headlights, thinking i could get aftermarket HID's... well when i brought the car to the local shop they told me that they could put them in but the car would show a code that the headlights were out everytime i put the lights on... I wanted to know if i bought the OEM headlights with the bi-xenon lights would it be the same problem? Is it plug and play? I read that you must have the headlight washer option to have those lights? is that true? or can i just buy the lights (and get ripped off) and have them work just fine.
thanx

·
Registered
108 Posts
your best bet would be to buy the OEM HID lights. You then have to get the dealer to use the Star Diag to change the volts for the HID lights and it will work fine.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
Here in Europe the headlight washers and automatic self leveling are mandatory for xenon lights.

I've understood that Star Diag programming is necessary, not only because of the warning indicator issue but also to avoid some lights flickering issues (where I don't remember the reason/explanation why).

·
Registered
2006 CLK350
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So will i have that problem too? Or is that a problem before the Star Diag is performed?

·
Registered
108 Posts
yea you will have that problem before star Diag. After they go in to Star Diag and change that 1 setting no problems

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,289 Posts
the error code has to do with the fact that the lighting system of the HID
appears to the car computer as 'bulb out'. what causes this upstream is the
higher resistance of the HID system. it is possible to go HID retrofit and *not*
cause the error message, either through serendipity or luck in having selected
a ballast which appears to look 'normal' to the computer. if not reset, yes,
flickering can be one of the symptoms

when the car computer is set to 'Xenon present' it just looks at the lighting
system as one in which the resistance is 'okay' and a higher level.

though the bulb requires approx 20,000 v to arc, the supply voltage ballast
is still 12vdc....same as halogen. in fact, the power consumption of the
HID bulb is only 35 watts, vs 50/60 watts of a normal halogen system.

·
Registered
W211 E55
13 Posts
You can also install a quick relay kit on any aftermarket HID setup to stop the flickering and as to not set off the Headlight warning light on the car.

I just did it for my dads ML350 2006. Works fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Flickering light and blown computer after HID installation.

hey guys so I put an aftermarket HID on my 2005 c 230 and had some flickering and eventually blew out the computer that controlled the lighting on the right side of the car.
I understand by reading this thread that I can prevent this by having my computer flashed by mercedes, or by using a relay to fool the computer? What kind and where would I get a relay for this light kit? Thanks in advance for any advice...Ray

·
Registered
108 Posts
my opinion is go with a factory HID. Yes its more expensive but you will have no problems with it once the setting has been changed to XENON present in the computer.

·
Registered
2006 CLK350
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so I went to the dealer and WOW!!! this is a very expensive job!!! it was $1250 for the headlight assembly and that was each!! they they said it would be like 5 hours for the labor (since they would have to drop my bumper) All together they told me the job would cost me somewhere around $3500!!! im not sure about u guys but i dont want HID's that bad thats too much for headlights... so my new idea is to get aftermarket hids... i just dont want the headlight warning to come on or flickering on the lights... what should I tell the installer to do? also what is a quick relay is it different then a regular relay?

·
Registered
2006 CLK350
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just wondering if any1 could help me cause i wanted to do this sometime this week.
thanx

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
It wouldn't be that much if you bought it with the car, right? Plus I would order with the car if I want one so whatever would be cover by the warrantee.

·
Registered
2006 CLK350
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i know i wish i ordered it with the car but i didnt :( so now my only chance if someone could help me tell the installer exactly what i want them to do so that it works properly... (the installer is a friend but he said he doesnt know how to put it in without the warning light comming on)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts