Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 E350
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I took our 280E to Pennsylvania this past weekend for Thanksgiving, in part to surprise her family who has had the car in the garage, nearly dormant, for many years.

Thankfully the gas prices are down, because the gas mileage was pretty poor. I keep a log of the odometer and gallons purchased. We drove mostly interstate, about 70mph, and the mileage was fractionally better than 15mpg. Is this the norm?

--Woody

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
167 Posts
My wife and I took our 280E to Pennsylvania this past weekend for Thanksgiving, in part to surprise her family who has had the car in the garage, nearly dormant, for many years.

Thankfully the gas prices are down, because the gas mileage was pretty poor. I keep a log of the odometer and gallons purchased. We drove mostly interstate, about 70mph, and the mileage was fractionally better than 15mpg. Is this the norm?

--Woody
Well, our W123's have the aerodynamics of a broken brick, so at 70mph that sounds about right for a gasser. I get 26mpg on my 83 300D almost independent of how and where I drive it.

·
Registered
EURO 280CE
1,689 Posts
15 is pretty low, highway mileage for these is significantly higher than city. ive seen 18mpg highway going 80, but i havent measured mpg in a long time my odometer broke.

·
Registered
2010 E350
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all

It sounds like this is probably within the range of normal. I guess the combination of brick like aero dynamics, archaic fuel injection, fairly small engine, moderately heavy car, and hilly region of the country all contributed to the low number. I had hoped for a bit better, my BMW 635 is good for mid-20's or better. Of course it has a bit more engine and a bit less weight, plus an electronic fuel injection that is (slightly) more advanced than the benz system.

On the upside, the car was pretty much flawless for about 1500 miles. No appreciable oil consumption, temperature stayed at 180 degrees, the cruise and climate control worked fine, and even the original radio pulled in stations decently. Humorously, on the way home, the odometer past 28k miles (it crossed 27k on the way north). This was probably the longest trip this car has ever seen, and probably ever will.

We only encountered one car on the trip older than our, a boat-tailed buick riviera, about a 1972 model or so. I think it speaks well of Mercedes that a 32 year old car of thiers can be taken on such a trip with no real sacrifices, at least aside from the 'vintage' fuel economy.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Woody, still like your euro headlights?

My 280CE gets about 15MPG. It doesn't matter how hard I drive it, I get 15MPG.

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
I say your right on for a USA spec 280E in hills. I gather form all the post that euros tend to get better gas mileage. 18-20 on highway and 13-15 city. Also did you feed her 93 octane gas. 87 will give you lower mileage.

I also find that my mileage is directly related to the price of gas. When gas was $4.75 cents a gallon I got 18 mpg on average. Now that it's $1.74 I am getting 15 mpg. On the other hand, I am getting to and back from work alot quicker though. :D

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,217 Posts
My 280E euro seemed to get better mileage than my US 280CE. The US car: 15-16, the euro (with 4-speed): 20-21. But, I am not convinced the US car is tuned well. I have a 90-mile commute, and tend to roll around 73 mph.

I am almost done with the 5-speed installation in my US car. I hope the overdrive puts me closer to 20. We'll see.

FB

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,634 Posts
Yeah, 15-20 is the norm.

My 635CSi gets about the same at 15-20mpg, although it has the Mass air conversion and adjustable air/fuel ratio meter upgrade instead of the restrictive stock Motronic AFM.

·
Registered
2010 E350
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Woody, still like your euro headlights?

My 280CE gets about 15MPG. It doesn't matter how hard I drive it, I get 15MPG.
79Mercy, I'm loving the headlights, my only regret is not making the swap sooner. As for the 15mpg regardless, I think you're correct, thats about what I have been getting around town. I can feel good that it is at least consistent with what everyone else is seeing.

Cheapold280ce, I did not try the premium. The manual said 87 octane, and I figured with no electronic knock control there was no way it would be better or worse with premium. Based on your input, I'll give it a try if and when we do another road trip with the car.

Nutz4benz, I've long been wanting the mass airflow setup you have for my bmw. Very nice! Driving home and contemplating the mileage, I was wondering if the benz would benefit from a modern aftermarket efi setup, but I suspect that the 15mpg would not change a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts