Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted this as a thread on the W126 forum, but I would very much value your opinions, even though this pertains to my W126...

>>>>>>>>

Hi guys.

I am studding up this winter on my old W126! I'm in the Pacific North West - and one of my regular routes means I have to go up and down a long steep hill. When it is rainy down town at say 2 degrees Celcius, it will be at least 1/2 an inch of snow and ice by morning up at my place. So I'm studding up...

Good Year Ultra Grip (or Kumho I'zen) studded tires. Both look good with good reviews. Any preference?

Alternatively, I just came across an excellent condition set of 4 Nokian Hakkapellitta RSI... (studless)

Am I right to understand that no matter how good the Nokians, studded will always be better to get me up and down a snowy and icey hill safely in winter?

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
Though I have lived where one must have something it can depend on where you live.

If you live right in town the snow not studded tyres are OK, but if you live out in the sticks and have a few miles to go before hitting a well used route then studs are the only thing to have, yes they are noisier but at least you will always get there and home again

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Television pretty much summed it up in his post.

Personally I would go with the studded tires if I knew I was going to face snow/ice conditions in winter. When in doubt go with studded.

Maybe have a devoted winter wheel set up so you can switch to studded/winter tires as needed from the comfort of your home.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Rich, how big is this hill and also does your local municipality use salt or sand? Let me know, and check your local laws before purchasing the tires, they are not legal everywhere, at least in Wisconsin they aren't.

·
6,543 Posts
Rich, how big is this hill and also does your local municipality use salt or sand? Let me know, and check your local laws before purchasing the tires, they are not legal everywhere, at least in Wisconsin they aren't.
Good point, I drove from Sweden to the UK in my 300TE with the spiked tyres and forgot to change them and I parked with the front wheels pointing in towards the side walk. There was a big queue of people waiting to stroke the spikes as the shone in the sun,I moved the car quickly as they had never seen such things before

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good points - thanks gents.

Yes, I've checked and they are legal (Oct - Apr) and the hill is long and long and long (going from sea level up to over 1,000 feet) and steep with drop offs, & it may well be snowy tonight with black ice in the morning for sure.

So now I have a W126 studded sled. W140 will be kept out of it. GIven the drops off the side of the road on the hill are close and high enough to roll the car dozens of times, I think I am being wise to go with studs on all 4 tires - which she now has! :thumbsup:

Thanks gentlemen....

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Funny, I use Hankook Zovac studdeds in the rear for traction on icy roads and Nokian RSi on the fronts for steering traction. Perhaps next year I will try the RSi all around, as I have read good feedback about the RSi tires.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read good things about the RSI too, but decided to go with studs all round simply because of the ice and snow pressures up my hill... and the consequences of getting stuck sliding... especially with that drop there...

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And to update - boy, am I glad I did go with studs...

Snow and black ice all the way back to my place, up all of the hills, even with snow at sea level - W126 did not slip once with 4 studded tires in place as I steadily climbed up to 1,000 feet. So I am alive - that would have been impossible in the all season tires, I'd be either in the ditch or stuck in the car helpless, and when out of fuel- COLD....

Fire is now on in my place and I am safe and warming up - so thanks for all your advice, let's see how the studded tires cope with the possible 4" - 6" of snow and crap I may have to deal with by the time I wake up and need to head back down the hill...

PS - they are very quiet too, can't really tell any difference in terms noise. FYI - I have KUMHO studded on the rears and Goodyear ultra grip (studded) on the front.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a quick update, they've made this winter completely stress free for me and I just drove 500k with them on highway, was not noisy - no problem... Thanks!

·
6,543 Posts
Studded tyre were quite noisy on the 124 300 TE but the insulation in the S class is so much better, so pleased that you feel safe now, its horrible trying to drive while wondering whats around every corner

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Studded tyre were quite noisy on the 124 300 TE but the insulation in the S class is so much better, so pleased that you feel safe now, its horrible trying to drive while wondering whats around every corner
Thanks, it sure is.... :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts