Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '69 280S has developed a horrific squeal in the speedometer. I first blamed the cable. Upon removal, lubrication and reinstalation of same, the problem now appears to be in the speedo head itself. I have just spent the last two hours standing on my head looking under the dash. There appears to be no way in. Apparantly the car was constructed around the speedometer. Can anyone suggest a fix that does not involve a frame off resto? Thanks in advance<br>ANH<p><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
: My '69 280S has developed a horrific squeal in the speedometer. I first blamed the cable. Upon removal, lubrication and reinstalation of same, the problem now appears to be in the speedo head itself. I have just spent the last two hours standing on my head looking under the dash. There appears to be no way in. Apparantly the car was constructed around the speedometer. Can anyone suggest a fix that does not involve a frame off resto? Thanks in advance<br>ANH<p><br><p>If you have the model without the Tach, there is one large plastic nut on the back of the instrument cluster. I remover the cover under the handbrake, and disconnect the wiring under the steering column. Then you can barely get your hand up to the back center of the cluster.<br>Unscrew it, and the instruments drop right out, be careful of the oil pressure line. Also, put a towel on top of the steering column to protect the dash wood. This is not an easy job. Good luck

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a difficult job, and the previous reply is right on. I remove the cover under the steering column, and then lower the hand brake. You need a swivel socket to get one of the screws out. Then carefully move wiring out of the way, and reach your hand up behind the center of the instruments. One big plastic nut holds the inst panel in. Pull the panel out a bit, and unscrew the speedo cable. You should be able to remove the speedo without disconnecting the oil pressure line. Again, use a towel to protect the wood dash. By the way, my speedo broke the input shaft due to old lube, had to buy a used unit from Tri-Star Pete in Arizona, cost about $100.<p>Good luck, Wayne<br>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts