Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 300D
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, I just got the snow tires on my car, they moved two of the best tires to the front and the snows were put on the rear. Yesterday I'm on my way home from my work commute and notice more noise coming from the car. The winter tires are humming a little, but it was that. It was a faint clunking, so when I got off the freeway, I pulled over to see what it might be. I thought maybe a loose wheel, but it wasn't that. I grabbed the drivers front tire and I could wiggle it ever so slightly, not much, but it did move and it made a faint clunk, pretty quiet. I'm sure that is something that will get worse, correct? Do I need to new wheel bearings or something? Whatever it might be, is that a tough job? I do have my parts car, so I could fix it with that. Thanks all!!!!

·
Registered
84 300D
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked that Zedd, couldn't turn the lugs anymore than they currently are. Any thoughts on fixing that? I think my tires are a bit low also.

·
Registered
1999 e320 4Matic wagon
968 Posts
Check the calipers. I did that last week.

But yeah, checking the wheel bearings is a good idea, along with the nut that holds on the whole wheel assembly. If it's too tight, it can cause problems.

Track rod, tie rods, ball joints. All of them can cause clunking. Annoying isn't it?

·
Registered
84 300D
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure is, there is always something. I'm gonna need to get a torque wrench for all of this work I need to do. I checked the wheel again this morning, I jacked the car up and firmly grabbed the wheel and could move it just a little. It's not much, but it seems like one of those things that would get worse. I'll check diesel giant and mercedes source on a fix for this problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
167 Posts
Also, you should not use dissimilar tires from front to rear (i.e., regular tires in front, snows in the rear). Because the front and rear will likely have fairly different traction, it is likely to make the car very over-steer prone in the dry and wet (assuming the snows have less dry traction than fronts). The opposite problem (under-steer prone) in the snow.

Use 4 snows or 4 regular tires, don't mix!

·
Registered
84 300D
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does seem to be acting funny, steering wise. It all just started when the tires were changed.

·
Registered
1999 e320 4Matic wagon
968 Posts
You can overcome the tire problem by getting all seasons in the front and winters in the rear with tread that doesn't look too different.

·
Registered
84 300D
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never thought that winters in the rear and all seasons up front would make a big difference. I must have asked at least 3 mechanics, they all said, just put them on the rear. Oh well, I'm gonna deal with it for now.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Jack it up, take the wheel off, remove the pads. See if you can wiggle the disc rotors. If yes ever so slightly then you'll need to get the bearings done.

I also agree to use snows on all four, and not skimp on the other two.

·
Registered
84 300D
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's going in on Tuesday to be looked at. I guess I'll be getting 2 more tires. I figure in the spring I'll upgrade to 15's so I guess I'll just let them on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts