Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1982 380SL with 58,000 original miles, the fuel pump and filter were just replace, the problem is it's very loud and quite annoying. Any one got any ideas how to sound proof the pump, the previous owner said the original pump was noisy and the new one is the same.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
From my experience, any electric fuel pump should not be noisy and if so, there must be a problem. If a noisy pump were replaced by a new one and still works noisy, then there could be a constriction at the suction side causing fuel starvation at the inlet of the pump. A fuel tank with quite a lot of junk inside could do that too. Also possible that the pump is trying to push too much pressure to a constricted circuit but I'd bet the problem more likely at the suction side.

Alex Samson
Los Angeles

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
When these pumps Really start to hum it's letting you know that it's on it's last legs. My advise, replace it before it dies and get the OE Bosch unit not the aftermarket Pierburg bugger.

Nice low mileage unit you found..Any pics?

Jonathan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise, I'll have the pump checked out by my Mercedes dealer. I'll try to upload some picture for you. The car is cream (New $4000 paint job)with dark brown interior which is flawless. The Top is brown and is new. Most of the parts that tipically wear out have been replaced including the timing chain and guide. Unfortunately it's a single chain but it only has 3000 miles on it.

Dick

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Sounds nice! As for chains, I treat the single row units as if they were a belt. To be safe a change every 40K is a good idea.

Jonathan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts