Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I have a 1995 E320 Wagon about 235K miles, for about the past 6 months I have been fighting the problem of a noisy belt, It is always screaming at idle and at all speeds below about 2000 RPM. I have Isolated the problem to the Tensioning pulley. Here is what I have already done
Checked for leaks -no coolent leaks found and I haven't added any coolent in the past 6 months.
no oil leaks
replaced the belt 3 times, cleaning the pulleys each time with a brush clean rags and 409. origionally I had a continental belt, changed to a gates belt, no change,
2 months later changed to a dayco belt - worse!
changed back to a new Continental still squeeling.
Changed the tensioning pulley- no change I have been driving it regularly keeping an eye on the belt but I cant seem to see any wear on the back of the belt.
Last week while at idle and the belt squeeling loudly I shot a small amout of Baby powder on the back side of the belt Immediatly the squeeling stopped.
It returned when the powder wore off. Im out of ideas anyone ever had a problem like this?

·
Registered
92 400e, 97 SL500, 2003 Suburban, 88 300TE , 2001 E320 Wagon, 2005 E500 Wagon
88 Posts
Sounds like you may have a bad tensioner. Have you tried replacing it? A new one should come with a new pulley. I've been told they can be noisy when they go bad.

Todd

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,700 Posts
You can also take a short length of garden type hose and use it as a stethoscope to isolate the source of the squeal. From what you have described, it doesn't appear that the belt is your problem.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
I think Radio guy has it, this problem was fixed via tensioner replacement for me 2 weeks ago, my symptons sounded like your symptoms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts