Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a c280 from my old man and have a couple of questions:

1. It's my first auto and I find the transmission quite coarse sounding. Are they noisier than a normal manual gearbox? In particular, if you take it all the way to the red line it makes a loud screeching noise. Haven't had filter / transmission level checked yet but presume this is first step?

2. When the engine is cold, there is a pronounced 'buzz' type noise which seems to come from under the power steering fluid thing. This subsides when the engine hits normal temperature. Again, is this something to be concerned about?

Any help anyone could provide would be much appreciated
[?]

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
I am pretty sure #2 is your air pump making that noise until it is at correct operating temperature.

Not sure about #1.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks - I'll check out the air pump thing.

while I'm on the subject I've bought a new fan belt as the old one is glazed and cracked. However, I can see that fitting this is going to be tricky as I can't work out how to remove the large cooling fan. The most drastic measure seems to be to remove / move the radiator out of the way to get at it but I'm sure this is unnecessary.

I am starting to think that this 'bargain' from my old man is going to cost me....

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
What year is it?

You should not have to remove this things to put on the belt....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 1998 model. There are eight wheels which the belt goes round. I reckon I could do it but without removing the fan it looks very tricky. I had heard that the MB factory would probably go at it from underneath but as I don't have ramps I wouldn't be able to tackle this myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts