Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Conveniently, my C230 starts to make all sorts of noise after the warranty expired in April.

Brakes: It's a loud squeak when putting on moderate pressure (quiet when low, quiet when hard)

Suspension: Sounds like a spring mattress when the rear wheels go over a bump. A somewhat similar sound emerges when I'm turning left.

In April before the warranty expired, I brought her into the local MB Dealer and they fixed a tie rod that another dealership spotted in Buffalo (75% cheaper).
I skipped out on alignment and I'm starting to think this could be the problem.

Please tell me what you think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 C180 2.0L
10 Posts
Hi

I might be able to help you but I am not an expert. I had kind of similar problems on mine which I think you might be interested in.

Your squeaking breaks is a typical problems and usually it is just a matter of a little dust between the break pads and disk. So what you need to do is loosen the two bolts behind the break caliper and take it off the disk. Remove any dust/rust on the pad and de-grease the disk. Some say the problems may be vibration between the disk and the cylinder behind but I don't think so. However, if so you should apply Copper grease on the back of the disks (not the surface towards the disk). But this requires more tool since you need to push back the cylinder behind to make room.
Before you continue with all this you should check you pad wear first. If you have less than 5 mm it is time for a change anyway.

Regarding you suspension it sounds to me like the bushings on the control arms may need a change (I think it is usually the inner bushing on the lower arm that wears out first). This is not an easy job since the bushing has to be pressed out but some people claim to be able to do it without a press. Also when you play with the suspension you may need a re-adjustment so that you care still drives straight.
It could also be a spring that has cracked (usually right next to the seat so you don't see it easily) or it is rotating.... but I bet it is the bushings.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I determined that the sound is coming from the rear left suspension.

Would anyone happen to know of an independent mechanic in Mississauga or west of Toronto?

I've been looking at Techmax, any other suggestions?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts