Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'99 ML320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ML has some incredibly annoying noise issue. I'm pretty sure it's coming from near the back, possibly the rear seats. It's hard to determine but it happens even while driving over the slightest bump on the road.

Sounds like a rattling dinner plate.

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
hello Ty. please attempt 2 things. inspect (with tools) your rear seat set + anything further aft from there. IMHO take tools and tighten anything you encounter during this type of inspection. 2nd. do you have VMI on your truck? if wrecked before, you're hearing the rattles that will be there forever; rear door, bumper or you fill in the blank.

·
Registered
'99 ML320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took out the jack, confirmed it wasn't the CD player, and currently don't have the privacy screen installed and the noise is still there.

I'm 90% sure that it's coming from underneath the back seat diagonal to the driver's and right next to the middle seat.

Just took a quick peek earlier today and not too sure what I could tighten myself but I'll take another look during the day tomorrow.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,801 Posts
Our sunroof was making noise that sounded like it was coming from the back.
When I pressed up it hard while going over bumps it stopped. I found a thread
here about adjustment for it and the sound stopped. It may not be your problem
but is one that is easy to rule out.

·
Registered
'99 ML320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure I fixed it. I just put some thick cloth between some of the metal in contact b/w the middle and side seat.

Hope it stays that way...

On an unrelated note:
I find the interior door panels of my '99 very unattractive. Will the 2000+ interior door panels fit w/o any modification?

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
lots of 'grey' in benzworld ha ha. is it anthracite? and white stitching or black on seams?

·
Registered
99 ML320
36 Posts
I have this same problem. It's gotten worse the past couple of weeks. I have no idea what it is, it's hard to pinpoint wtf it is. It SOUNDS like the rear hatch, but there's nothing loose there. The jack, spare tire, CD player, first aid kit and everything was checked and is SOLIDLY in place. All of the plastics are fitting tight. It's not that kind of noise anyways. It's the kind of noise like if the trunk is halfway closed, you get that metal-metal clunking/clicking sound. The trunk is definitely closed. The rear wiper is tight, the license plate was taken off to make sure it wasn't that either. I didn't 1000000% check every bolt for the rear seats, but there's nothing loose on what I did check.

Any ideas?

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,801 Posts
Press up hard on the sunroof when you are driving. They can make a clunking and it
sounds like it is coming from the back. Make sure sunroof is not open when doing this
and press on the glass with the cover retracted.

·
Registered
99 ML320
36 Posts
Well I didn't take it out for a spin (I have a prime parking spot in the apartment complex) but I did press on the glass and it does have a rattle. I don't know if that's it, but I can definitely tell that if that were rattling, cause the noise sounds nowhere near the back; I can tell that noise is right over my head. It is loose however (but doesn't leak). I searched for the adjustment thread but couldn't find it. :(

·
Registered
2000 ML430
209 Posts
My truck used to have this really obnoxious rattle coming from the back seat, it was that little knob beside the passenger side headrest (used for folding down the seat) rattling around inside the actual seat. I couldn't see a way to fix it without taking the seat apart, so I wrapped some foam tape around the stalk of the knob, stopping it from moving around and rattling. Might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,479 Posts
rupintart

A quick and easy fix for the rear hatch are the two adjustment nuts that control the 'play' in the hatch. One on each side about the diameter of a quarter with a slot in the middle. They simply screw in/out to adjust tension. Back them out about a 1/2 turn on each side and see if that stops the rattle. Could not be any simpler !!

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
108 Posts
I had the same problem with noise from the rear cabin in my ML. I would get this rattle ever time I hit a bump or pothole. First problem was a loose license plate. Second was the 2 boards that connected to the rear seat to cover the gap between the cargo hold and the rear seats. FYI, also check the compartment in the rear which stores the First Aid kit. When I opened it up and reached down I located the crank used to close the sun roof should the motor or power fail. It drove me crazy.

·
Registered
03 ML350
245 Posts
Check your spare tire. The carrier bracket doesn't hold it very tight and it could be rattling. It's also a good excuse to make sure it's aired up.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 2005 C240
45 Posts
Was there any resolution to this problem? Like many others, I have a similar problem, with a "knocking" coming from the inside (most likely the hatch) when going over bumps in the road, NOT potholes. Any advice or resolution as of yet?

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3
2,982 Posts
Was there any resolution to this problem? Like many others, I have a similar problem, with a "knocking" coming from the inside (most likely the hatch) when going over bumps in the road, NOT potholes. Any advice or resolution as of yet?
Judging by the number of posts with solutions, there isn't one solution...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts