Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that i'm sure my 300d won't blow up on the highway, i'd like to try to find a way to make it a little quieter on the inside. does anyone know of a good sound isolation product or DIY project that could reduce the noise in the cabin when cruising at high rpms? thanks!

·
Registered
1980 280e
670 Posts
There used to be a blanket that would go between the engine and the firewall but they don't make them anymore, for a diy project you could make one of those? Otherwise standard sound absorbing stuff like dynamat or what ever, everyone has their favorite brand. If you are on a budget you could always go with a layer of peel-&-seal then a layer of frost king duct insulation. Basically peel-&-seal is a rubber asphalt roof sealer that will make the car smell like asphalt for a few months then the odor will dissipate, people say it will fall off when it gets hot during the summer but that is a myth apparently unless you use it in the engine compartment, people on the Lexus forums use it. The frost king insulation is 1/3 inch foam backed by aluminum. Basically the peel-and-seal (or dynamat, brown bread, b-quet) stops the vibrations from the metal/body and the frostking (or what ever sound obsorbing foam) obsorbs the sound in the air. If you want true luxury car silence you have to go with both products, but most people just use dynamat or peel-&-seal alone. The peel-&-seal is about 1/4 the price of dynamat and someone did a comparison and found that peel-&-seal is as effective as ordinary dynamat but not dynamat extreme. This is only if you are on a budget, otherwise I definately recommend going with dynamat, brown bread, b-quiet or what ever.

peel and seal installed:

frost king in a corvette (it's popular with the corvette guys for some reason):

edit: found a picture of the engine "sound shield", it's probably made out of this stuff http://www.directindustry.com/prod/sound-seal/quilted-fiberglass-soundproofing-materials-11615-43262.html, supposedly it worked well:

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts