Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E320 Sport
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 E320 sports package. Sometimes when I hit a bump I hear a rattling noise come from my left front wheel. I had the dealer take a look at it & they said it may have something to do with the stock. Has anyone else dealt with the same issue or heard the same noise?

·
Registered
2011 E350 Sedan, 1993 Chevrolet Corvette 30th Anniversary Ed., 31 in Snapper Hi-Vac Oh Yeah!
71 Posts
Re: Noise in left front wheel

Cannuzi, need a little more information:

How Many miles on your E320?
Is it a 4Matic?
What does the rattle sound like (ie. metal on metal, plastic on metal)?

Upper ball joint test (known to cause rattle): grab the top of the tire pull out at top then push in repeatedly. There should be 0 play in the wheel assembly, if the wheel moves in and out and you hear a clicking noise you have a bad upper ball joint. You can also open the hood and push down on the shock tower then let up repeatedly. If you hear a squeaking sound you may have a bad ball joint. These are two conditions that accompanied a rattle on the front left suspension on my 2004 E320. After replacing the upper ball joint, the rattle and noise went away. If you post up your car info we may be able to zero in on it.

Will - Orlando, FL

·
Registered
2003 E320 Sport
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 83,000 & its not 4matic. It’s a rattling noise only when I going over bumps. Its sounds like metal on metal but I believe it has something to do with the shocks. The crazy thing is I first heard it on the left side but now I’m hearing it on the right.

·
Registered
2011 E350 Sedan, 1993 Chevrolet Corvette 30th Anniversary Ed., 31 in Snapper Hi-Vac Oh Yeah!
71 Posts
With 83,000 miles and assuming your car does not have airmatic, it could be your shocks, here is an excerpt from a DTB on my 2004 E320 regarding rattling noises from the front suspesion/axel. "The metallic knocking / rattling noise is caused by the shock absorber’s internal rebound buffer spring. The condition is most pronounced when driving slowly over speed bumps or road undulations." I took my vehicle to the dealer with this DTB in hand only to find out the upper ball joint had failed. I would check the following in this order:

1. Check Upper Ball Joints, inspect for cracks or tears in the rubber boot and excessive play or noise as described in my previous post (see attached partial, item associated with #205. If joints have excessive play, noise or damaged boots, replace upper control arm with joint.
2. Check the Hydromounts on the tension struts, (see attached partial, item #145). If mount is cracked, split or torn replace mounts. DTB P-B33.15/16b changed these mounts to solid rubber bushings.
3. If after inspecting and ruling out the ball joints and hydromounts, move on to the shocks.

Any one of these may cause a metallic rattle. There may be something else that konigstiger or Diesel Benz may know about, but I think taking a look at the upper ball joints and hydromounts before heading for the shocks can help. Hope this helps somewhat.

Will

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts